Problems With Copper Wire In Between Glass

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_silverunicornglass_*

Guest_silverunicornglass_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:02 PM

I have never had this problem before, but it looks like when I sandwich copper wire in between two pieces of compatible glass, the copper wire looks like it has almost chipped off flakes of itself into the glass, and is really not so pretty. I tried using acid or vinegar solution to "wash" the glass, which made no difference. I have asked all the people I know, and nobody has a solution to the problem. Anybody seen this before? (or have any ideas we havent tried?)

Thanks,
Silver Unicorn Glass 8banghead.gif 8banghead.gif

#2 glasstired

glasstired

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Glass panels, windows, lamps, teaching glass, woodwork and travel.

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE(silverunicornglass @ Apr 17 2006, 07:02 PM)
I have never had this problem before, but it looks like when I sandwich copper wire in between two pieces of compatible glass, the copper wire looks like it has almost chipped off flakes of itself into the glass, and is really not so pretty. I tried using acid or vinegar solution to "wash" the glass, which made no difference. I have asked all the people I know, and nobody has a solution to the problem. Anybody seen this before? (or have any ideas we havent tried?)

Thanks,
Silver Unicorn Glass 8banghead.gif  8banghead.gif

View Post

You state that you cleaned the glass. What about the wire? Some copper wire has a coating on it that you need to clean off

#3 Dennis Brady

Dennis Brady

Curmudgeon

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE(silverunicornglass @ Apr 17 2006, 09:02 PM)

Thanks,
Silver Unicorn Glass 8banghead.gif  8banghead.gif

View Post

Copper wire will turn black when fired, but there shouldn't be any flaking.
What temperature are you firing to?
Are you sure it's straight copper and not copper coated iron?

We routinely fire copper wire inside glass and have never experienced flaking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users