• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jdoyle01

jdoyle01

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Jogging, Softball, Basketball, Stained Glass, Painting, Tennis, Hiking, Fishing, Surfing, and most recently: Golfing :)

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:59 PM

Hello everyone, I have instructions on a project i'm doing to copper overlay. I'm making a Golfer Panel, and since the golf club and golf ball are so small, the instruction is to "copper foil overlay" these pieces. Do I just cut pieces of my foil and stick them on the glass? I'm just not sure, any help would be appreciated, thanks! -Jessica 8duck.gif

#2 malkore

malkore

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:27 AM

That is how its been explained to me. you cut the foil to the right shape and put it directly on the glass, then solder over it.

some designs, you can catch the seam between glass pieces with your overlay to give it more durability. overlays that are only stuck on with foil adhesive may pop off over time. however there are several craft glues you can use to put it back on a little more permanently.

#3 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(malkore @ Jun 6 2006, 10:27 AM)
That is how its been explained to me.  you cut the foil to the right shape and put it directly on the glass, then solder over it.

some designs, you can catch the seam between glass pieces with your overlay to give it more durability.  overlays that are only stuck on with foil adhesive may pop off over time.  however there are several craft glues you can use to put it back on a little more permanently.

View Post

Foil adhesive has no purpose, other than to hold the foil in place long enough for you to solder it. Any overlay should be attached with solder to a seam or other permanent solder joint. It will not stay on the glass by just sticking it there, or I have never seen it stay in place. Foil adhesive will dry out quicker than people think and loses its "stick" capability when heat is applied. If you intend on doing an overlay, I would suggest getting a sheet of copper foil, that comes a bit thicker, with an adhesive back, also, found in most glass shops in 12x12 sheets or such, so it doesnt try to roll up on you when soldering it. You can cut out your form with an exacto knife, stick it on, terminate the ends, or at least a couple of places, at solder joints, and give it a good bead, so it stays, and is not wiped off the first time an attempt is made to clean the piece. My opinion.

#4 bethie

bethie

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:reading, German Shepherds, birdwatching, stained glass in all forms,canoeing, walking,gardening-especially flowers.

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:38 AM

I use the copper foil overlay on bug wings a lot and it absolutely needs to catch a solder seam all around it for durability.

#5 malkore

malkore

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for the clarification Boris. Yet another area my former instructor failed miserably on when instructing me.

#6 jdoyle01

jdoyle01

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Jogging, Softball, Basketball, Stained Glass, Painting, Tennis, Hiking, Fishing, Surfing, and most recently: Golfing :)

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:34 PM

Thank you all for all your help - all your experience helps so much!!

Thanks!! Jessica

#7 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE(malkore @ Jun 7 2006, 11:28 AM)
Thanks for the clarification Boris.  Yet another area my former instructor failed miserably on when instructing me.

View Post

There is a method for a "floating" foil item, made on a panel, that would be permanent and secure, but have only seen it done on very fine pieces, where "production" is not an issue, and "quality" is the rule of the day. An example would be a "Hummingbird" in the center of a lamp panel, with the flowers attached to the sides of the panel. A very small hole was drilled in the glass, and a flat "thin" head pin was dropped in the hole. The foil piece was attached to the pin, or pins, with solder. The wire on the underside of the glass waspamtend about 1/16 of an inch, and a drop of solder attached. Thus forming anchors that would be permanent, in the center of a panel. A little extra work, but solves many problems, and allows a more versitle design. Nothing good is easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users