7 replies to this topic

#1 mama mashed potatoes

mama mashed potatoes

New Neighbour

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:36 PM

Hi Chantal. I thought I saw a pattern for a trinket box with a ballet slipper motif on the lid that you did but I've searched and can't find it anywhere. Maybe I'm mistaken and you don't have a pattern like this at all. If you do could you please point me in the right direction? If you don't could you do a pattern for it please? Thank you so very much! And any links that you have with tips for how to make boxes would be appreciated if it's not too much time.

#2 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,770 posts
  • Interests:Orchids, gardening, badminton, drawing stained glass patterns, bird feeding, webmastering.

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:13 AM

I have a few pictures on tube hinge positioning here: Tube Hinges

When you solder the tube hinges, there will be areas that must remain free of solder. You can cover them with Liquid Paper, which you can remove when the project is completed.

I have ballet slippers (I suppose you can adapt them into a box cover), but I haven't seen the exact pattern you are referring to. Maybe someone else has.

This page has a list of dance related patterns: Find Dance Patterns

#3 mama mashed potatoes

mama mashed potatoes

New Neighbour

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 02:56 PM

Okay thanks Chantal. I will try to do something with the ballet slippers that you have.

#4 DeReK

DeReK

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE(Chantal @ Oct 13 2006, 01:13 PM) View Post
When you solder the tube hinges, there will be areas that must remain free of solder. You can cover them with Liquid Paper, which you can remove when the project is completed.

Wow - that sounds like a great idea. What's the best way to remove it afterwards?

#5 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,770 posts
  • Interests:Orchids, gardening, badminton, drawing stained glass patterns, bird feeding, webmastering.

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:36 PM

Scratch it off with your nails! 8hammer.gif

#6 DeReK

DeReK

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE(Chantal @ Jul 16 2007, 02:36 AM) View Post
Scratch it off with your nails! 8hammer.gif

Thanks Chantal... lol that's a bit obvious isn't it and if I'd got that far I hope I would have sussed it. But I'm hitting a problem.

My box is built and I've found some old brass rod/tubing I was going to use for the hinge. But the solder refuses to adhere to it. I've rubbed it down with emery paper to get rid of about 20 years worth of aging, over-heated it, fluxed it to drowning point, tried 60/40 and 50/50 solder but nothing will work. So I can't tin it or even tack it in place properly. Covering the tube in solder is impossible as it just rolls off the tube onto the soldered foil underneath.

I'm beginning to wonder if the rod/tube isn't brass at all but it sure looks like brass. I've got a few different thicknesses and it's the same with all of them.

Is there a special way to solder brass?

I'd actually rather not use brass as I rather like the 'old feel' of leaving the solder self colored, and having little brass-coloured bits showing looks wrong. Do you happen to know of a non-polished steel coloured metal that will readily accept solder?

The only item from my foiling days of times gone by that I didn't give away is a box, and for that I made a hinge using a length of metal rod running the full length of the box and made little rings at each end using wire. I made it about 20 years ago and can't remember what I used for the rod but it isn't brass and it took the solder fairly well - see PICTURE. I'd really like to get some more but I don't know what to ask/look for except "metal rods that will take solder".

Any advice greatly appreciated.

#7 Munchkin45

Munchkin45

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Glass, Computers and Telephones.

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:48 AM

Look in any Hobby Shop that has flying model airplanes. The radio controled kind. Most of them carry brass/copper tubing and brass rods. That is what I use.

#8 DeReK

DeReK

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE(Munchkin45 @ Jul 16 2007, 03:48 PM) View Post
Look in any Hobby Shop that has flying model airplanes. The radio controled kind. Most of them carry brass/copper tubing and brass rods. That is what I use.

Many thanks for your reply - I'm going to keep searching for some solder liking steel ones first 8wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users