• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts
  • Interests:Orchids, gardening, badminton, drawing stained glass patterns, bird feeding, webmastering.

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:54 AM

The 2007 Pilchuck Summer Program is out!

Click on the link to open the pdf file.

2007 Pilchuck Summer Program

Interesting:
Session 2 - Stephen Rolfe Powell's "Thinking = Making"
Session 3 - Fred Ticshda's "Casting Light"
Session 4 - Claire and Anthony's "Cane, Carving and Color"
Session 4 - Hank Adams's "Funkadelic Hyena Holiday"

Personally, I'd love to take Claire and Anthony's Cane course. Session 4 runs from July 24 to August 10 (the height of daylily season back home 8oscargrouch.gif) - the fee would be $2850 for the two weeks.

#2 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts
  • Interests:Orchids, gardening, badminton, drawing stained glass patterns, bird feeding, webmastering.

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:49 PM

It's official! I sent in my application for Claire and Anthony's class. According to the registrar, chances are good that I will get in.

I can't wait!

#3 Dawnt

Dawnt

Mister Sister

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:20 AM

Wow! How exciting! You'll have to take lots of pics, so we can live vicariously and all that. ;)

#4 Guest_newoldstyle_*

Guest_newoldstyle_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE(Chantal @ Dec 21 2006, 10:54 AM) View Post
The 2007 Pilchuck Summer Program is out!

Click on the link to open the pdf file.

2007 Pilchuck Summer Program

Interesting:
Session 2 - Stephen Rolfe Powell's "Thinking = Making"
Session 3 - Fred Ticshda's "Casting Light"
Session 4 - Claire and Anthony's "Cane, Carving and Color"
Session 4 - Hank Adams's "Funkadelic Hyena Holiday"

Personally, I'd love to take Claire and Anthony's Cane course. Session 4 runs from July 24 to August 10 (the height of daylily season back home 8oscargrouch.gif) - the fee would be $2850 for the two weeks.

We are green with envy! 8oscargrouch.gif

#5 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 05:07 PM

IF I get in, I am sure to take lots of pictures.

One fun thing about Pilchuck is that the class is "catered" by some local chef's school. It's all included in their exorbitant tuition fees. I've been told by Laura and Karina (my glassblowing teachers) that salmon is served regularly. Accomodation is also included in the fee (they have tree houses!). I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures of the food, grounds, furnaces...

I'll prepare a little website with all the photos when I return.

If I go - and if I go... if I return! 8rotfl.gif I may not want to...

#6 wendy lee

wendy lee

Real Estate Agent

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:geocaching,biking,stained glass

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:31 PM

I checked out their site, the grounds look impressive. This is the summer camp experience that my momma never sent me to! 8cry.gif

#7 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:39 PM

Ay-ah! Yay! I am in! In Session 4 - Claire and Anthony's "Cane, Carving and Color" - it's official! I just received the notice.

I am OVER THE MOON!!! And they said I got lucky because they had lots of applicants - it's a lottery, not talent, but hey! I am glad Fortuna spun her wheel in my favor.

8party.gif 8jester.gif 8hypnodisk.gif 8confetti.gif 8heartbeat.gif openrose.gif 8hersheyskiss.gif 8cuckooclock.gif

Seattle here I come... July 24 - Aug 10

And look...

Satellite view of Pilchuck

I might run across the road to steal apples!

#8 cdngardener

cdngardener

Real Estate Agent

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:stained glass (of course), gardens and plants, books, hot glass, ceramics, cooking, computers, jogging, & fitness.

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:52 PM

Congrats Chantal! What a treat and I would think the weather should be nice there at that time of year. How about you take a web phone and podcast the whole experience so that we can all (just kidding of course) experience it. Can't wait to see your pictures and comments.

Good luck and leave those green apples alone!

Rick

#9 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:02 PM

You bet I'll take lots of pictures and submit a full report of the whole classes' adventures.

The apples are in grave danger... whole branches will be stripped bare... geez I hope the fruit will be ripe, otherwise I'll have a sour expression for 3 weeks.

If those were peach trees I would think it's heaven and I'd never want to come back home!

#10 Guest_ezbleedr_*

Guest_ezbleedr_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:12 PM

Chantal, congratulations on getting in to Pilchuck. It is an incredible place. Too rich for my pocketbook unfortunately, but we do get up there for the Open Houses. You will love it, and just a short drive away is Stanwood and Camano Island, both neat 'rustic' places. La Conner is a short drive north and filled with Arts and Crafts and good dining. You can't help but have a great time. Fate has smiled on you.

#11 Clive

Clive

Real Estate Agent

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Stained Glass, fishing,star gazing, gardening, camping playing guitar to the oldies and putzing in the garage.

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:08 PM

Congratulations Chantal on such an excellent opportunity.

#12 Mittens The Cat

Mittens The Cat

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:39 PM

I'd love to blow glass... is it difficult? Does Pilchuck have classes for raw beginners?

#13 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:31 PM

Yes, blowing glass has a steep learning curve. When you start, if you manage to make something like some bady warped kindergarten clay project, you are mega-talented! It takes a lot of effort to graduate from "disaster-maker" to "barely usable as a pencil container."

It sounds discouraging I know, and I almost gave up on it completely during my first glassblowing weekend. I wanted to throw the towel. All this work, to bring home lumps of glass that were frankly a huge embarassment. The class wasn't cheap, either.

That's precisely why I like it so much. Now that I am able to blow vessels that are passable, I feel a great sense of accomplishment. You wouldn't know by looking at what I do, but I know how long to road was to getting to that level where I can see the first rung of the ladder with binoculars.

Pilchuck has classes for beginners. But because of the travel and the cost, you are better off finding a local studio to learn. When you reach a certain minimal level of proficiency (like you don't drop all your pieces on the floor on the way to the glory hole like one of the guys who takes classes with me... no name...) you'll get a lot more out of Pilchuck, or any other far away glassblowing extravaganza.

#14 Clive

Clive

Real Estate Agent

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Stained Glass, fishing,star gazing, gardening, camping playing guitar to the oldies and putzing in the garage.

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

Isn't that the truth, It is an art that take years to develop. I have many friends that blow glass and are real pros. My fishing buddy Taylor Rock

http://www.glassartc...etail.php?id=44

And the people from the old Bhava Hot Glass Studios that was just 5 blocks from my house.

They now have a company in New York called Atelier Glass Works

http://atelierglassw...com/profile.php really worth looking at all the samples they do some out of this world art...

I spent a couple of summers doing some hand lapping and grinding. I got to watch the shop when they went out on delivery's and they would say the blow pipes are over there and the punties there have fun.

#15 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:08 AM

Tyler is awesome. His mastery of shape is an inspiration. He often teaches at Red Deer College. Maybe IL'll sign up for his class, just so I can name drop! "Hey Tyler, I know your fishing buddy, Clive! How's the trout in them there parts?"

"The blow pipes are over there and the punties there have fun." 8rotfl.gif I see they're funny guys, too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users