12 replies to this topic

#1 Rebecca

Rebecca

Chocolatier

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:42 AM

I got some of the new Waffle Grid pieces made by Creative Stained Glass, the Cutters' Mate people, so I could try them out. They will be officially introduced at the Glass Craft and Bead Expo at the end of the month. The Waffle Grid is similar to the Morton cutting surface, only better. It has a smoother, stronger feel. The pieces are a little less that a foot square and snap together like a puzzle. They will be available in two-packs and six-packs. The six-pack is a little larger than the large Morton board. And the two-pack is a little smaller than the small Morton board. They are made of Lexan, which is nearly indestructible. When I first opened my shop, I bought enough of the Morton boards to cover my work table. When I started cutting full sheets of glass to put on the shelves, some of them had the manufacturer's number painted on them. I had to use Goof Off to take off the paint. I spilled some on the Morton board and it dissolved! So I had to try that on the Waffle Grid. - No problem! And I damaged the new Morton board sliding the metal T-square across it. Can't do it with the Lexan. I usually stand the Morton boards on end against the wall when I take them off of the table to solder. I did the same thing with the Waffle Grid no problem. And even better, it can be disassembled and stored on a shelf. If you are cutting tiny pieces that fall into the grid, you can take one tile out and cut on the table. You can configure the pieces to fit around a corner or even around a grinder. You can use the grid under the grinder to catch water, and put the smooth side toward the grinder at the back and sides for easy clean up. And when you are cleaning up, the disassembled squares dump neatly into the garbage can unlike the larger Morton boards. Can you tell I like them? The only problem I saw was that you have to be careful to push all of the squares together good so that the surface is all the same level. I think anyone who does glass will know that the cutting surface has to be all the same level, so that isn't really a problem, just a caveat.

Rebecca

#2 Dawnt

Dawnt

Mister Sister

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:30 PM

I want some!!

#3 jeremiec

jeremiec

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:30 PM

hehe I took the cheap route and bought plastic light difusers to cut on for no it seems to work great not to mention they are only $7 a sheet
QUOTE(Rebecca @ Mar 9 2007, 10:42 AM) View Post
I got some of the new Waffle Grid pieces made by Creative Stained Glass, the Cutters' Mate people, so I could try them out. They will be officially introduced at the Glass Craft and Bead Expo at the end of the month. The Waffle Grid is similar to the Morton cutting surface, only better. It has a smoother, stronger feel. The pieces are a little less that a foot square and snap together like a puzzle. They will be available in two-packs and six-packs. The six-pack is a little larger than the large Morton board. And the two-pack is a little smaller than the small Morton board. They are made of Lexan, which is nearly indestructible. When I first opened my shop, I bought enough of the Morton boards to cover my work table. When I started cutting full sheets of glass to put on the shelves, some of them had the manufacturer's number painted on them. I had to use Goof Off to take off the paint. I spilled some on the Morton board and it dissolved! So I had to try that on the Waffle Grid. - No problem! And I damaged the new Morton board sliding the metal T-square across it. Can't do it with the Lexan. I usually stand the Morton boards on end against the wall when I take them off of the table to solder. I did the same thing with the Waffle Grid no problem. And even better, it can be disassembled and stored on a shelf. If you are cutting tiny pieces that fall into the grid, you can take one tile out and cut on the table. You can configure the pieces to fit around a corner or even around a grinder. You can use the grid under the grinder to catch water, and put the smooth side toward the grinder at the back and sides for easy clean up. And when you are cleaning up, the disassembled squares dump neatly into the garbage can unlike the larger Morton boards. Can you tell I like them? The only problem I saw was that you have to be careful to push all of the squares together good so that the surface is all the same level. I think anyone who does glass will know that the cutting surface has to be all the same level, so that isn't really a problem, just a caveat.

Rebecca

#4 glassgunner

glassgunner

Homeowner

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:05 PM

Thank-you Rebecca for taking the time to write this
review. I know that there will be a lot more uses coming
to light.
Your friend,
Ray

QUOTE(Rebecca @ Mar 9 2007, 10:42 AM) View Post

Rebecca

#5 glassgunner

glassgunner

Homeowner

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:32 PM

Greetings Dawn:
Your stained glass supplier should already be able to get you the
Waffle Grid, if they do not have them already.
All of our distributors have them in stock, ready to ship.
Your friend,
Ray

QUOTE(Dawnt @ Mar 9 2007, 11:30 AM) View Post
I want some!!

#6 glassgunner

glassgunner

Homeowner

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:49 PM

Jeremie:
Not everybody can afford cheap.
Your friend,
Ray

QUOTE(jeremiec @ Mar 9 2007, 11:30 AM) View Post
hehe I took the cheap route and bought plastic light difusers to cut on for no it seems to work great not to mention they are only $7 a sheet

#7 jeremiec

jeremiec

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE(glassgunner @ Mar 9 2007, 07:49 PM) View Post
Jeremie:
Not everybody can afford cheap.
Your friend,
Ray

agreed i was jsut saying what i used :) the pads sound great.

#8 Lewis

Lewis

Homeowner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Woodworking, Radio Controlled Helicopters

Posted 17 March 2007 - 02:32 PM

Well, being a sucker for new tools I had to go and have a look at the cutters mate site to see what the racket is about these waffle panels. I have not bought my cutter's mate yet (it's on the wish list) and I also should admit that I have purchased a 7 dollar fluorescent light diffusor as my morton system but the concept of being able to pull out a small piece of the grid and empty it out is appealing, as well as the modular expandability of the waffle panels

Anyway, I do have a couple of questions that perhaps someone can answer for me -
1) - what's the suggested retail price of these waffle panels - 6 and 2 pack?
2) - will the little friction inserts and speed balls etc. shown on the cutters mate site work with the panels?
3) - are the morton tools interchangable with this grid system?

Cheers!
Lewis

#9 glassgunner

glassgunner

Homeowner

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 03:18 PM

Greetings Lewis:

Those are some excellent questions that the astute consumer SHOULD ask.

1. There is no suggested retail price.

2. Yes, ALL products shown on the Cutter's Mate site work with the Waffle Grid.
Speed Balls, Friction buttons, and the Cutter's Mate.

3. All of the Morton tools fit the Waffle Grid most accurately and perfectly.

Have a super day !

Your friend,
Ray

QUOTE(Lewis @ Mar 17 2007, 02:32 PM) View Post
Well, being a sucker for new tools I had to go and have a look at the cutters mate site to see what the racket is about these waffle panels. I have not bought my cutter's mate yet (it's on the wish list) and I also should admit that I have purchased a 7 dollar fluorescent light diffusor as my morton system but the concept of being able to pull out a small piece of the grid and empty it out is appealing, as well as the modular expandability of the waffle panels

Anyway, I do have a couple of questions that perhaps someone can answer for me -
1) - what's the suggested retail price of these waffle panels - 6 and 2 pack?
2) - will the little friction inserts and speed balls etc. shown on the cutters mate site work with the panels?
3) - are the morton tools interchangable with this grid system?

Cheers!
Lewis

#10 Lewis

Lewis

Homeowner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 04:30 PM

Hi Ray -

No price? Hmmm.................................Whoo- hoo! It's free ! I'll take 5 packs of 6 - haha. ok - I guess by that you mean that no price has been set yet. When are they being made available for public consumption?

Thanks for the quick response to my questions.

Cheers,
Lewis

#11 glassgunner

glassgunner

Homeowner

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:43 PM

Greetings Lewis:
The Waffle Grid is available now for your favorite retailer.
Your friend,
Ray

QUOTE(Lewis @ Mar 17 2007, 04:30 PM) View Post
Hi Ray -

No price? Hmmm.................................Whoo- hoo! It's free ! I'll take 5 packs of 6 - haha. ok - I guess by that you mean that no price has been set yet. When are they being made available for public consumption?

Thanks for the quick response to my questions.

Cheers,
Lewis

#12 Lewis

Lewis

Homeowner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(glassgunner @ Mar 17 2007, 05:43 PM) View Post
Greetings Lewis:
The Waffle Grid is available now for your favorite retailer.
Your friend,
Ray

Google is my friend - found them. Thanks !!
Now, where did I put that credit card........

#13 glassgunner

glassgunner

Homeowner

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:30 PM

Greetings Lewis:
Thank you for all of the considerations you have shown.
Your friend,
Ray

QUOTE(Lewis @ Mar 17 2007, 07:25 PM) View Post
Google is my friend - found them. Thanks !!
Now, where did I put that credit card........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users