11 replies to this topic

#1 Gwynhidwy

Gwynhidwy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:39 PM

I make glass mosaics and sometimes the edges are sharper than I would like or the tiles stick up because they are not of an even thickness. Is there anything that I can use to smooth these out by hand? Is there such a thing as a glass sanding sponge?

#2 newoldstyle

newoldstyle

Homeowner

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Computers, electronics, glass, wood carving, music

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(Gwynhidwy @ Apr 16 2007, 08:39 PM)  
I make glass mosaics and sometimes the edges are sharper than I would like or the tiles stick up because they are not of an even thickness. Is there anything that I can use to smooth these out by hand? Is there such a thing as a glass sanding sponge?

maybe try a dremel tool?

#3 Dawnt

Dawnt

Mister Sister

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:46 AM

There are hand stones, (cheap), that you can use to quickly grind off the edges of glass. They can be found at most SG suppliers. There are also diamond sponge sanders for coldworking, by 3M, (expensive! think grinder bit!), that come in varying grits. You can buy a grinder for as much as a set of the 3M sponge sanders cost. A grinder would be a lot faster and easier. The hand stone is probably a better bet if you don't want to spring for a grinder.

good luck!

Dawn

#4 Clive

Clive

Real Estate Agent

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Interests:Stained Glass, fishing,star gazing, gardening, camping playing guitar to the oldies and putzing in the garage.

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:00 AM

To just remove enough of the sharp edge so it is not a danger you can use sand cloth or paper. On large clear glass I use a sponge type sanding block (used by painters) - this will take the edge off enough to preventing cutting your self..

#5 Gwynhidwy

Gwynhidwy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:47 PM

Thanks very much for the responses! I'm sure one of those will work out. I needed an excuse to go back to the local SG store anyway.....

#6 malkore

malkore

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE(Gwynhidwy @ Apr 17 2007, 09:47 PM)  
Thanks very much for the responses! I'm sure one of those will work out. I needed an excuse to go back to the local SG store anyway.....

Think they're called corundum stones....kinda like a big nail file, perfect for light grinding.

#7 Clive

Clive

Real Estate Agent

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Interests:Stained Glass, fishing,star gazing, gardening, camping playing guitar to the oldies and putzing in the garage.

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:28 PM

If you are doing mosaic and cutting the pieces via hammering device then there are so many pieces that it would be a monumental task to sand them all - but if you are cutting them and need to adjust the shape then you may need more then a sanding pad or stone.

When I was doing a lot of clear glass grid works in brass I had to arias the edge of the glass so they did'nt shell on the edge when I pushed then together and I used a worn out belt from my belt sander to remove the sharp edge only... If you are cutting little 1/2 inch squares then I would just take an old belt from a belt sander or new one very fine grit and attach it to a board so you could drag 2 squares at a time over the surface and hence removing the sharp edge.

#8 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE(Clive @ Apr 23 2007, 07:28 PM)  
If you are doing mosaic and cutting the pieces via hammering device then there are so many pieces that it would be a monumental task to sand them all - but if you are cutting them and need to adjust the shape then you may need more then a sanding pad or stone.

When I was doing a lot of clear glass grid works in brass I had to arias the edge of the glass so they did'nt shell on the edge when I pushed then together and I used a worn out belt from my belt sander to remove the sharp edge only... If you are cutting little 1/2 inch squares then I would just take an old belt from a belt sander or new one very fine grit and attach it to a board so you could drag 2 squares at a time over the surface and hence removing the sharp edge.

Maybe a tumbler may also suit the purpose, for mosaic sized pieces.

#9 Clive

Clive

Real Estate Agent

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:19 PM

That an excellent idea Boris, great way to prep trillions of pieces as you sleep...

#10 e hilton

e hilton

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(Gwynhidwy @ Apr 16 2007, 09:39 PM)  

#11 e hilton

e hilton

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(Gwynhidwy @ Apr 16 2007, 09:39 PM)  

Look at Lowes or Home Depot, or even yhe sporting goods dept of WalMart for a diamond knife sharpener. I know you can get flat ones in fine-med-coarse for a reasonable cost, and I think you can get a round bastard file-type for doing serrated knife edges.

#12 glassact

glassact

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:33 PM

You could try a scythe stone. You wet it and rub the glass edges against it.

http://www.delphigla...temSYSid=144417

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users