• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Flux

Flux

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Winter sports, bluegrass, maintaining my 1916 bungalow, a Beefeater martini and oh yes, anything to do with stained glass.

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:24 AM

Interesting request from my barber. He would like a reproduction of this antique barber pole. Kind of a tall order but I am thinking maybe pentagonal vase caps for the ends with brass rod supports and lit from within by a single tube or a light rope. Any ideas would be appreciated. dizzy.gif
Thx.

#2 Clive

Clive

Real Estate Agent

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Interests:Stained Glass, fishing,star gazing, gardening, camping playing guitar to the oldies and putzing in the garage.

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:50 PM

Does it have to rotate, if so maybe a humidifier motor they run slow and for a long time.
I would do it in lead and bend it round but you would need many vertical runs for a smoother curve.

Interesting request though....

#3 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE(Flux @ Jan 11 2008, 11:24 AM) View Post
Interesting request from my barber. He would like a reproduction of this antique barber pole. Kind of a tall order but I am thinking maybe pentagonal vase caps for the ends with brass rod supports and lit from within by a single tube or a light rope. Any ideas would be appreciated. dizzy.gif
Thx.

Interesting, but too many unanswered questions. What the structure made of? Do you have access to the original pole, or just a picture? What are the panel dividers mad of, that we see outside the pole running vertical up and down, looks like pipe or wood? What is thetop made of? Tin, Metal, cast, wood?

Doesnt look like all that much of a problem to duplicate. All straight cuts, no bends, and nothing fancy.

#4 Flux

Flux

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Winter sports, bluegrass, maintaining my 1916 bungalow, a Beefeater martini and oh yes, anything to do with stained glass.

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:46 PM

These were made in the late 19th early 20th century and were stationary. So it won't turn Clive. But do plan on lighting it inside. Your right Boris, the easy part is the glass. These are now quite rare and I don't mean to duplicate exactly what we see here. I guess what I need are lamp parts for the top and bottom. Any sources you can steer me to Boris?

Thx.

#5 Clive

Clive

Real Estate Agent

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Interests:Stained Glass, fishing,star gazing, gardening, camping playing guitar to the oldies and putzing in the garage.

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:53 PM

I have seen solar cells in patio lights that might be an interesting bridging of the century's.
It could charge all day and turn on automatically at dusk...

#6 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE(Flux @ Jan 12 2008, 02:46 PM) View Post
These were made in the late 19th early 20th century and were stationary. So it won't turn Clive. But do plan on lighting it inside. Your right Boris, the easy part is the glass. These are now quite rare and I don't mean to duplicate exactly what we see here. I guess what I need are lamp parts for the top and bottom. Any sources you can steer me to Boris?

Thx.

A better picture would be a lot of help. Also any information you may have on this, like size, for instance, and what the top and bottoms are made of. If you consider the fact that all this stuff was made by people, with nowhere near the materials and tools we have now, there is no question that all the stuff needed can be found or made for this. Its quite primitive by any standards. Can you e-mail me a better picture, that I can enlarge and get better look at this thing. The lighting part is the least problem. A single fluorescent small tube would do fine, found in any hardware store. Interesting project. I would need dimensions also, if you have them or can get them. I have a lot of old hardware, including bases and tops for all kinds of lighting. Just need more to go on.

#7 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(Clive @ Jan 12 2008, 06:53 PM) View Post
I have seen solar cells in patio lights that might be an interesting bridging of the century's.
It could charge all day and turn on automatically at dusk...

I dont think this thing would last long outside. It would likely be stolen within a night of two.

#8 Clive

Clive

Real Estate Agent

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:25 PM

Perhaps we can work razor wire in to it ,,, hahahhaha

OK sorry ,,,, but flux you must check this out <--------- string mania in public square...

turn up sound... -----------> WOW

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#9 Flux

Flux

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE(Boris_USA @ Jan 12 2008, 06:12 PM) View Post
I dont think this thing would last long outside. It would likely be stolen within a night of two.

Boris, I found the pic at this site:
http://www.prices4an...mary/238130.htm

Looks about 18 - 24" high with porcelein caps and aluminum case. This will be mounted inside the shop.

Very funny Clive loved the Vilvadi. The original barber poles were just that. A white pole with a red stripe to stylize the bloody towels every shop had from shaving guys with a straight edge razor and from removing teeth, stitching up wounds etc. If I can figure out a system to make these things there might be money in them thar poles!

#10 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE(Flux @ Jan 12 2008, 11:09 PM) View Post
Looks about 18 - 24" high with porcelein caps and aluminum case. This will be mounted inside the shop.

Ad says 33 inches. Aluminum case with cast iron top and bottom end caps, done in porcelin. Not much you can do to duplicate that, without a whole lot of work. I will check a couple of sources to see if repro parts are available for these. They still make some parts for Barber Poles.

#11 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:32 PM

Looked around in my source books and web pages I have saved, and nothing shows up as parts for that type of pole. They do make the bottoms and tops for other poles, that are more traditional, and these pans may be adaptable to the pole you want to make. Maybe even a variation of both types of poles, like the inner cage made from stained glass, as in your picture, and the outside tube of regular glass?

This may be a good project if building for yourself, since time is not an issue then, but dont think it would be a very good commercial venture. Too time consuming and too many non-glass fabrications you would need, to make it cost effective.

#12 Flux

Flux

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:32 AM

Thanks Boris. I think will look locally for somthing that might work. I should be able to cobble it together. Yes, no real way to produce thse en'mass.

#13 wes

wes

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(Flux @ Jan 15 2008, 06:32 AM) View Post
Thanks Boris. I think will look locally for somthing that might work. I should be able to cobble it together. Yes, no real way to produce thse en'mass.

Is it possible to make the barber pole from white 1/4" strips and paint the red, and bake. Use 2 caps for the top and bottom and then twisted lead for the vertical pcs.

Thought if you used 10 or 12 lengths of white glass that would make it close to round (not a perfect pole) to look good.

Cut them and lay them side by side and tape the spiral on them and paint then bake.

You could use a small hanging lamp type socket in the top one ( or even top and bottom)for interior lighting

MHO.
Wes 8hammer.gif

#14 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(Flux @ Jan 15 2008, 06:32 AM) View Post

Agh! Dont know what I was thinking. I meant to add this web site for you to look at, and maybe get some ideas on parts and such, and what you may be able to use

http://www.barbersho...s.com/parts.htm

#15 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:48 PM

Also check out this one on eBay. Its a variation of the one you had pics of. Do a search on "Barber Pole" on eBay. LOts of stuff on there, and maybe some parts you may be able to use. Keep looking weekly. Eventually you find anything you need.

Item Number : 260202635338

#16 Flux

Flux

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:26 PM

What fun. I knew this would generate a lot of interest, thanks all. Actully Wes, I will keep the shape hexagonal like the original. Also, my barber wants the blue added. Blue was added by a presumed patriot sometime in the mid 20th century. So now all barber poles have red, white and ....blue. (I like the red & white better). But you have me thinking. Make the peices more round and use round vase caps for the ends. Hmmm..are we inventing an elephant by committiee?? ha.

Boris, weird barber pole. The colors don't match up. It's supposd to be a spiral, duh. Maybe the glass has ben replaced by somone who knows not it's purpose. But another attempt at the same idea.

I guess I'm going to have to make this %$#@# thing aen't I?

Regards, Mark

#17 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE(Flux @ Jan 15 2008, 09:26 PM) View Post
What fun.
Boris, weird barber pole. The colors don't match up. It's supposd to be a spiral, duh. Maybe the glass has ben replaced by somone who knows not it's purpose. But another attempt at the same idea.

I guess I'm going to have to make this %$#@# thing aen't I?

Regards, Mark

Aha!! Methinks this is like a "Prophecy" now. The coming has been foretold, and now we will all await the arrival.

Yea, I think you will pretty much have to at least attempt one... 8rotfl.gif

We can give you "moral support."

#18 chinatreasures

chinatreasures

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:03 AM

What an interesting project! Please let us know how it turns out. Yes, Flux, you will have to make it - how in the world could you pass up a challenge like that? I certainly hope you will charge your barber (or maybe trade out the work with haircuts, shaves, tooth extractions, etc. for several years). After reading these posts, I did some research on the color choices for the barber pole. Quite interesting, since the blue represented leeches!

Best of luck on this project!

#19 Vicki

Vicki

Homeowner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Photography, nature and stained glass

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:44 AM

That was awesome. I listen to Vivaldi's 4 Seasons almost everyday in my office. My boss made me take it out of my CD player one day because I was listening to it over and over. After about the 5th time, I had to take it out for the day. Next morning, right back in. It is one of my favorites.

#20 Flux

Flux

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(Boris_USA @ Jan 15 2008, 09:39 PM) View Post
Aha!! Methinks this is like a "Prophecy" now. The coming has been foretold, and now we will all await the arrival.

Yea, I think you will pretty much have to at least attempt one... 8rotfl.gif

We can give you "moral support."

Well, for what it's worth here it is. I found lamp parts at an architectural salvage store. I still have some soldering to do but I had to put it together to see how she looks. This was actually quite fun. Inside is a simple paper tube and an 11 watt compact flourescent light

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users