8 replies to this topic

#1 Teton Teri

Teton Teri

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

I did it again! I went to change my grinder bit and have it stuck. Now the screw is almost stripped. (Last time I was able to saw it off and not have to replace my grinder.) Please give me some tips to save my grinder and I promise to check the bit more often in the future to prevent this from happening again!

#2 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (Teton Teri @ Mar 22 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did it again! I went to change my grinder bit and have it stuck. Now the screw is almost stripped. (Last time I was able to saw it off and not have to replace my grinder.) Please give me some tips to save my grinder and I promise to check the bit more often in the future to prevent this from happening again!

I assume then, that the screw is stuck, and not the bit? You may want to try some penetrationg oil on the screw, and let it soak in before trying to move the screw again, for a day or so. You can also tap on the allen wrench a couple of times, firmly, when its in the screw. Sometimes it helps to break bonds in the threads, along with the oil, like WD40. It also seats the allen wrench . If none of that works, the only alternative may be to drill out the screw.

Note: If you did not clamp down the screw real tight, sometimes you can use a small puller like a battery post puller, and pull it off. It may leave a groove on the flat of the grinder shaft, but wont hurt its operation.

#3 Rebecca

Rebecca

Chocolatier

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:18 PM

To prevent it in the future, coat the shaft and the screw with Vaseline before you install it.

Rebecca

#4 wes

wes

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (Teton Teri @ Mar 22 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the screw is stripped and can't get it loose. I would get a small easy-out and drill bit. Drill the screw a bit and then insert the easy-out to back off the screw. (Local hardware store should have various sizes of them)

Also like someone else mentioned a small gear puller may work if screw isn't too tight.

After the screw is removed and new grinder bit is installed I would use a stainless steel screw in place of the manuf.'s one.

Again as someone else mentioned use vaseline on the shaft and screw. This willl help with the sticking problem.

Wes 8hammer.gif

#5 Teton Teri

Teton Teri

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

I did it all! I got out the WD 40, the drill, an easy out and it worked. I'll be sure to lubricate before putting the new grinder bit on. Thank you all for your help. I felt like I had my "network" behind me as I went to the hardware store!

#6 wes

wes

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (Teton Teri @ Mar 23 2009, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did it all! I got out the WD 40, the drill, an easy out and it worked. I'll be sure to lubricate before putting the new grinder bit on. Thank you all for your help. I felt like I had my "network" behind me as I went to the hardware store!

LOL glad it worked for you.
Wes 8hammer.gif

#7 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:03 PM

Good for you. Beats the heck out of buying a new grinder...

I did not think of it before, but they do make a drill bit thats reversed, and works very well on small screws such as that one. The bit cuts counter clockwise, instead of clockwise, which is how a screw s tightened. Cutting backwards, it will also cut and back the screw out once its loose enough, or once it cuts through the center, most of the time.

#8 chinatreasures

chinatreasures

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

I felt like I had my "network" behind me as I went to the hardware store!

I'm envisioning the cell phone commercial with all the people backing up the user 8party.gif

This is great information! I've finally trained myself to remove the bit after using the grinder for the day. Nothing is more frustrating than spending hours trying to get a stuck bit off the shaft just to grind a little piece of glass.

#9 Bailey Yankee

Bailey Yankee

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:51 PM

Hi. I have had a similar problem on my lap grinder and even WD40 would not work. Nor did precoating with vaseline. What did work in the end was hot water. In my case, Because this was a lap grinder, the bolt was stuck on the platter. This whole assembly is removeable from the machine itself. I put the platter and bolt in hot hot water, let it soak abut 10- mins, then attached a vise grip to the nut side, held the platter vertically on a table, and whacked the vise grips with a hammer (not too hard, they will snap apart; been there--done that). It released! Whew.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users