Stained Glass During Pregnancy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_I gotta question_*

Guest_I gotta question_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:59 AM

Hello all!
I recently found out that I am 7 weeks pregnant 8party.gif I have a large project on the table. Soldering is half done. If I am to take all safety precautions(mask, fume trap, extra hand washing) is it safe for me to finish this project?

#2 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts
  • Interests:Orchids, gardening, badminton, drawing stained glass patterns, bird feeding, webmastering.

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (I gotta question @ Jun 11 2009, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello all!
I recently found out that I am 7 weeks pregnant 8party.gif I have a large project on the table. Soldering is half done. If I am to take all safety precautions(mask, fume trap, extra hand washing) is it safe for me to finish this project?

Congratulations!

It's probably fine, but if there's any way you could get someone else to finish it for you... it will give you peace of mind.

#3 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,587 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (I gotta question @ Jun 11 2009, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello all!

I can not see any reason you would not be able to finish it, as Chantal said. However, I would suggest being "Twice" as precautious as you may be under normal conditions. Good ventilation, not just fume traps, which do not remove all the fumes, extra hand washing or even latex gloves, and immeadiate change of clothes, once done working. Fumes and particles are your only source of contamination. Think ahead, and use extra common sense.

#4 Guest_I gotta question_*

Guest_I gotta question_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:28 AM

Thanks guys!
I finished up the panel this morning......with all precautions. I guess now I will just have to find a substancial project with lots of little pieces to keep me busy with cutting, grinding and foiling for the next several months.(and away from the solder!)
Hmmmm....maybe a lamp or some stepping stones.....ah heck with it, i'm going for a nap! 8rotfl.gif

#5 cdngardener

cdngardener

Real Estate Agent

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:stained glass (of course), gardens and plants, books, hot glass, ceramics, cooking, computers, jogging, & fitness.

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE (I gotta question @ Jun 12 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks guys!
I finished up the panel this morning......with all precautions. I guess now I will just have to find a substancial project with lots of little pieces to keep me busy with cutting, grinding and foiling for the next several months.(and away from the solder!)
Hmmmm....maybe a lamp or some stepping stones.....ah heck with it, i'm going for a nap! 8rotfl.gif

That's great - post a picture in the gallery please so we can all see the big project.

#6 Katya

Katya

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:19 PM

Hello, all! I know this is an old thread. But I have been digging for info on safety precautions during pregnancy. I have a few questions if anyone has any input:

- is it safe to just wash your hands thoroughly as opposed to wearing glass (special heavy-metal soap of course?)

- I have a heavy duty respirator that I am sure can filter out lead fumes, however, does anyone knows of any disposables that can be used while soldering? I have seen some rated for lead removal when doing work with lead paint but not at all sure if it is gonna do anything for fumes?

- do I have to wear gloves when working with patina, flux, etc. I usually do not. I doubt that they absorb through skin, but I just want to ask the community just to be sure!

#7 Rebecca

Rebecca

Restaurateur

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:29 PM

You are not exposed to lead fumes when doing stained glass.  You are exposed to flux fumes when you solder, but not lead fumes.  Always use a flux filter or, at least, a fan to suck the flux fumes away from you and outside, if possible.   I would not worry about absorbing flux or patina fumes through my skin, so I would only wear gloves if I were sensitive or allergic to the flux or patina.  Yes, I would wash my hands well and heavy metal soap would be okay.  If I were pregnant, I would probably avoid working on the old repairs that I love so much and I would definitely not sand solder nor came.  As always, I would be careful to keep my work area clean and my hands, face, and work clothes, too.

Rebecca

#8 Katya

Katya

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:50 PM

Friends,

As I am in infertility treatment myself, I have researched this subject thoroughly now and have some advice. In fact I have written an article for my website with links to all of the safety products you can use and how to stay "clean" while pregnant! I have managed to get my lead levels from 9 mcg/dl to 6 in just two weeks! Check it out here http://thelastunicor...o.com/blog.html

#9 Sanction

Sanction

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:44 AM

I guess you better not to use lead because you can inhale some while being in not that safe position. I guess nothing bad happens because of 1 project but i would think twice.

Also, to all of you out there wanting to start! You also need to think about your health and safe measures you can apply to be more secure.  I can tell, i work in stained glass studio for a while now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users