1 reply to this topic

#1 cambria

cambria

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:47 AM

After years for working with stained glass I'm ready to expand within the area of painting and dabble with fusing. I've played a bit with lampworking, with it being just a hobby.

Now that my studio remodel is close to an end we are looking at the need for an exhaust fan above the area for a kiln. Don't have a specific model of kiln but it's either a Paragon or Denver.

We are looking at the exhaust fans which are mounted to the exterior of the wall with an interior collection hood above the kiln. My question for those that use kilns and/or exhaust them, have you ever measured the temp of the heat being pulled through the exhause fan? I need to make sure the fan is rated high enough. Fan is rated at 381 cfm and a temp rating of 140deg F.

Thanks
Cam

#2 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:25 PM

After years for working with stained glass I'm ready to expand within the area of painting and dabble with fusing. I've played a bit with lampworking, with it being just a hobby.

Now that my studio remodel is close to an end we are looking at the need for an exhaust fan above the area for a kiln. Don't have a specific model of kiln but it's either a Paragon or Denver.

We are looking at the exhaust fans which are mounted to the exterior of the wall with an interior collection hood above the kiln. My question for those that use kilns and/or exhaust them, have you ever measured the temp of the heat being pulled through the exhause fan? I need to make sure the fan is rated high enough. Fan is rated at 381 cfm and a temp rating of 140deg F.

Thanks
Cam

My fan is in the wall, behind the kilns. There is a large shelf over the kilns at about 4 or 5 feet. A kiln does not usually give off that much heat at any distance, to worry about. If you where drawing right out of the kiln, like some of the exhaust kits, that draw some air from the bottoms of kilns, you would need something that could deal with higher temps. A hood over the kiln would not get that hot. My fan is only about two feet from the kilns, and has no problems. Next time I fore a panel, I will check the temps at the kiln exterior and the fan air. I have a laser pyrometer, just never thought of checking the exhaust fan temps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users