• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:Rock music. ZB Custom pedal steel, virtual synths,Yamaha electronic drum kit, guitar playing. Growing veganic, organic vegetables, wild life, helping out at the animal sanctuary, running.

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:42 AM

Hi,
I scanned a pattern at 600 dpi and printed it out using fast draft mode, the printout had quite jagged lines. I then scanned at 1200 dpi and selected the best printout quality, presentation mode. Still has jagged lines, perhaps even worse. I'm using the value range of printer paper from the supermarket which has a weight of 75 gsm. My printer is a HP Deskjet 5940. I've discovered there is a phenomena, called ink bleed in printing. I'm wondering if I use a heavier weight of paper, perhaps specially coated, pigment v dye based inks, and a different dpi setting on the printer.Will I eliminate this ink bleed problem?
I've done a quick search for inkjet paper sample packs of different weight papers, thinking of trying, to find optimum results, not really found anything yet.
Thanks.

#2 Tod Beall

Tod Beall

Daily Mirror Owner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Mostly flat glass. I started with sg over 30 years ago. I also collect books about sg. Please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book.

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:00 PM

So, are the jagged lines causing problems with cutting? Perhaps I don't understand the problem.
You may have to get some graphite paper and trace the thing so you have more even lines. - Tod

#3 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:Rock music. ZB Custom pedal steel, virtual synths,Yamaha electronic drum kit, guitar playing. Growing veganic, organic vegetables, wild life, helping out at the animal sanctuary, running.

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:59 PM

So, are the jagged lines causing problems with cutting? Perhaps I don't understand the problem.
You may have to get some graphite paper and trace the thing so you have more even lines. - Tod

Hi Tod,
Yes I anticipate the jagged lines causing problems. I need a nice clean line with a uniform width, for the cutter to follow, to practise my trace cutting, scoring the glass.
Peter.

#4 Tod Beall

Tod Beall

Daily Mirror Owner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Mostly flat glass. I started with sg over 30 years ago. I also collect books about sg. Please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:56 PM

Peter:
I certainly understand the difficulty of following fuzzy and imprecise lines.
I do not, however, have a better suggestion than making a usable copy manually. Seems like there should be some folks here who know how to cope with computer generated problems... No?
Good luck. - Tod
PS: I wonder if the Glass Eye forum would be a good place to ask about this?

#5 jackie

jackie

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:glass, books. nephew

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

take pattern to office depot have them copy pattern

#6 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:46 AM

Peter:
I certainly understand the difficulty of following fuzzy and imprecise lines.
I do not, however, have a better suggestion than making a usable copy manually. Seems like there should be some folks here who know how to cope with computer generated problems... No?
Good luck. - Tod
PS: I wonder if the Glass Eye forum would be a good place to ask about this?

Hi Tod,
As with manyt things, more to things that meets the eye :)
It is not ink bleed at all. Reply from Protonic free tech support-
" Hello Peter,

Thank you for visiting protonic.com! My name is Peter and I will be assisting you with your question. The ticket number allocated to your question is 211693.

Well many technicians have read this question but I do not see anyone prepared to take it ... so here I am .... and I am no expert in Windows :(

Let me start off by asking a simple question. How much memory is in the printer and what is the file size of the average print job?

Ink bleed incidentally is nothing at all related to this problem, indeed it is really questionable what it is related to other than the quality of the print media."
Am about to post back with printer spec.
Peter.

#7 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:49 AM

take pattern to office depot have them copy pattern

Thanks Jackie I'll bear that in mind.

#8 GlassJaw

GlassJaw

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Glass, metal, wood, and stone work. Architecture, Art Nouveau, Arts & Crafts. Computers. Pre-Raphaelite art.

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:52 AM

I'm afraid most modern home ink jet printer's ink will bleed, as a matter of fact I think they all will unless you obtain a specialty ink (if it even exists). I've found that inks have bled on every printer I've ever owned, and the propensity to bleed is proportional to the importance of the document and the likelihood that it will get wet, but yet the very same ink will be immovable should it come into contact with clothing or something that you definitely don't want the ink on!

Best be to use a laser printed page, or as suggested, get a copy made at a local office supply/Kinko's type store.

#9 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:44 AM

I'm afraid most modern home ink jet printer's ink will bleed, as a matter of fact I think they all will unless you obtain a specialty ink (if it even exists). I've found that inks have bled on every printer I've ever owned, and the propensity to bleed is proportional to the importance of the document and the likelihood that it will get wet, but yet the very same ink will be immovable should it come into contact with clothing or something that you definitely don't want the ink on!

Best be to use a laser printed page, or as suggested, get a copy made at a local office supply/Kinko's type store.

Ok thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users