• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,770 posts
  • Interests:Orchids, gardening, badminton, drawing stained glass patterns, bird feeding, webmastering.

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:11 PM

The WINNER:

Posted Image

The LOSER:

Posted Image

NOT the outcome I wanted! I had all my money on the zinc came...

What did I do wrong?

#2 Fox

Fox

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:01 PM

Nice-looking saw, but obviously the wrong blade. I had a friend who was running a picture-framing business, and achieved a similar result trying out his set-up. There are others who could better advise what blade type you need: I went back to using a hacksaw.

#3 wes

wes

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

Use a real fine tooth blade and that should help that problem.
You could also add a pc of wood to span from side to side covering the large gap where the blade goes thru on the saw

#4 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:25 PM

The WINNER:

NOT the outcome I wanted! I had all my money on the zinc came...

What did I do wrong?

Get a carbide fiber reinforced cutting disc, the thinnest you can find. It has no teeth and will not mangle anything. Its purpose is to cut metal. You can cut brass, zinc, steel, stainless, or anything else you can put in the saw. I use the same saw and disc to cut zinc came or 1/2 inch angle iron. Like cutting butter with a knife. Sure, you can use a saw blade, but thats like using a "chain saw" to do brain surgery.

The cutting disc I use on my saw is a 6 inch disc with a 7/8 arbor. Its DeWalt A60T-BF and is only .040 inch thick, which is thinner than some saw blades. Just make sure your arbor hole is the right size. You will never go back to a saw blade.

#5 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,770 posts
  • Interests:Orchids, gardening, badminton, drawing stained glass patterns, bird feeding, webmastering.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:19 AM

Where do you buy yours, Boris?

#6 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Rock music. ZB Custom pedal steel, virtual synths,Yamaha electronic drum kit, guitar playing. Growing veganic, organic vegetables, wild life, helping out at the animal sanctuary, running.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:12 PM

Get a carbide fiber reinforced cutting disc, the thinnest you can find. It has no teeth and will not mangle anything. Its purpose is to cut metal. You can cut brass, zinc, steel, stainless, or anything else you can put in the saw. I use the same saw and disc to cut zinc came or 1/2 inch angle iron. Like cutting butter with a knife. Sure, you can use a saw blade, but thats like using a "chain saw" to do brain surgery.

The cutting disc I use on my saw is a 6 inch disc with a 7/8 arbor. Its DeWalt A60T-BF and is only .040 inch thick, which is thinner than some saw blades. Just make sure your arbor hole is the right size. You will never go back to a saw blade.

Thats interesting, one can learn something new everyday here.

#7 Dennis Brady

Dennis Brady

Curmudgeon

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:19 PM

Thats interesting, one can learn something new everyday here.

The "trick" is to always cut the zinc with the open channel facing away from you.

#8 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:55 PM

Where do you buy yours, Boris?

Home Dept or Lowes has them. I am sure you can find them on line too. Have seen them advertised. What size saw blade is on your saw? 7 inch or bigger? What size is the arbor hole.

#9 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

The "trick" is to always cut the zinc with the open channel facing away from you.

With a cutting disc, no tricks required. You can zip through any size in any direction you like at any angle you choose. No skills required, even.

#10 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Rock music. ZB Custom pedal steel, virtual synths,Yamaha electronic drum kit, guitar playing. Growing veganic, organic vegetables, wild life, helping out at the animal sanctuary, running.

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:36 PM

Right Dennis, I'll add that to my SG tip folder for when using a hand saw.

#11 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:38 PM

With a cutting disc, no tricks required. You can zip through any size in any direction you like at any angle you choose. No skills required, even.

Thanks for more advice Boris, will also add it to my SG tips folder, to take note when using a cutting disc rather than a hand saw.

#12 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:35 PM

The blade is 8 1/4" - not sure about the arbor, will check!

#13 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:13 PM

The blade is 8 1/4" - not sure about the arbor, will check!

That should be no problem. Take the old blade with you, and tell them you need a thin metal cutting disc like it. You can likely use an 8 inch or even a 7 inch if need be. If you can not find one, I am sure I have a few hanging in the shop. It should work so well, you may think your slicing samples for microscope slides, instead of cutting zinc.. Oo..oO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users