4 replies to this topic

#1 Katherine

Katherine

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:48 AM

Has anyone had experience of fusing cremated ashes into a pendant. I have been asked by a client if it is possible to make a keepsake pendant with ashes fused into it but I don't know what would happen to the ash in firing.
Many thanks
Katherine.

sorry I've just realised I've posted this on the wrong forum and can't work out how to change it - sorry.

#2 CathLang

CathLang

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Glass, veganism, animals, camping, friends, family, daydreaming...

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:34 PM

I have heard of it being done by a company here in the UK, apparently the ash looks like white powder within the glass:

http://www.ashesintoglass.co.uk/

I've also heard of people fusing skeleton leaves between two pieces of glass...but I wouldn't know how, suffice to say that it can be done!

#3 Dawnt

Dawnt

Mister Sister

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:24 AM

I've not had much luck with inclusions myself. (I've tried leaves several times). Burnout and bubbles. They were NOT pretty. ;) The ash will probably just get more "ashy", you know? I had other stuff to do, so gave up on it, though had good intentions of more experimenting to get a decent result.

The work on that UK website is lovely, though it looks like they are doing lampworking and maybe casting rather than fusing. I would think that would give a much nicer result.

If you search the message boards at warmglass.com for inclusions you'll come up with a lot of posts about the firing schedules and others' successful attempts with leaves and other organic materials. Good luck!

Dawn

#4 Katherine

Katherine

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

I have heard of it being done by a company here in the UK, apparently the ash looks like white powder within the glass:

http://www.ashesintoglass.co.uk/

I've also heard of people fusing skeleton leaves between two pieces of glass...but I wouldn't know how, suffice to say that it can be done!

Thanks so much for the link, i'll take a look

#5 Katherine

Katherine

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:19 PM

I've not had much luck with inclusions myself. (I've tried leaves several times). Burnout and bubbles. They were NOT pretty. ;) The ash will probably just get more "ashy", you know? I had other stuff to do, so gave up on it, though had good intentions of more experimenting to get a decent result.

The work on that UK website is lovely, though it looks like they are doing lampworking and maybe casting rather than fusing. I would think that would give a much nicer result.

If you search the message boards at warmglass.com for inclusions you'll come up with a lot of posts about the firing schedules and others' successful attempts with leaves and other organic materials. Good luck!

Dawn

I'm going to do some testing with wood ash so I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for responding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users