4 replies to this topic

#1 janedrysdale

janedrysdale

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:06 PM

I am trying to slump float glass in to moulds. I have found the first fuse fine but am getting devitrifiaction or creasing around the edges of the pieces when I put them in to slump. It is a deep slump and I am firing to 790 centigrade but only holding for 10 mins. Any ideas how I can resolve this would be great.

#2 Dawnt

Dawnt

Mister Sister

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:29 AM

I am trying to slump float glass in to moulds. I have found the first fuse fine but am getting devitrifiaction or creasing around the edges of the pieces when I put them in to slump. It is a deep slump and I am firing to 790 centigrade but only holding for 10 mins. Any ideas how I can resolve this would be great.

Is this just a problem with your float glass, or do you have the same issues with art glass? What is your entire slump schedule? 790C (About 1450F?), seems a bit hot for a slump, to me. I'd try ramping more slowly to about 700c and hold a bit longer. Then drop quickly to annealing temp. Hope this helps.

Dawn

#3 shad

shad

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:53 AM

I have some float glass and have fused it with no problems but haven't tried slumping it --yet. I thought about trying the firing schedules from Armstrong (http://www.armstrong...oatfirebook.pdf) -- has anyone else used them?

#4 Rebecca

Rebecca

Restaurateur

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:49 PM

Tin side up or down?

#5 Knight

Knight

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Art, nature, cooking vegetarian, listening to vinyl, and my Love.

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:37 AM

In my fusing/slumping past I have found that going by a schedule from a book or source usually doesn't do it for me, I tend to use them only as a suggestion. After a first try I can tweak it a little to get closer to my desired outcome. Often I end up with a few firings before getting it right, sometimes it is perfect after the first. Make sure to document everything so you can recreate the firing schedule that works out in the end!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users