4 replies to this topic

#1 shad

shad

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:27 AM

I am attempting to fuse some angels for Christmas (Yes, for Christmas and this is just April!). Has anyone used the brass halos or 'trinkets' in fused projects? Ideally for what I have in mind, I would like to only fuse the halos at the base of the neck and not have the entire halo encased in glass. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Stephen Richard

Stephen Richard

Real Estate Agent

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Interests:Leaded and stained glass, kiln forming, sandblasting, acid etching, restoration

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:42 AM

Yes you can do this. The brass will come out of the firing brown, but can be cleaned up to get back to the brass colour. Use thin sheet.
steve

#3 shad

shad

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:33 PM

Great - I'll try it tonight. For once, it would be nice to be ahead of schedule for Christmas. Usually this is the type of project I either don't think of until November or put it off until I realize it's too late.

#4 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts
  • Interests:Orchids, gardening, badminton, drawing stained glass patterns, bird feeding, webmastering.

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

Some people include copper in blown glass projects... I believe that's because copper's COE is similar to glass. I hope I'm not deluding myself :dizzy: :hammer:

#5 Stephen Richard

Stephen Richard

Real Estate Agent

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Interests:Leaded and stained glass, kiln forming, sandblasting, acid etching, restoration

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:35 AM

Some people include copper in blown glass projects... I believe that's because copper's COE is similar to glass. I hope I'm not deluding myself :dizzy: :hammer:

Yes I am afraid you are deluding yourself. the expansion rates of copper and glass are radically different. Copper when thin is soft enough to accommodate to the glass.
steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users