Photo

What Type Of Adhesive For Glass-To-Glass ?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 LaurieJoP

LaurieJoP

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:pets and pet rescue, gardening, stained glass, mosaics

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:32 AM

I've searched the site and can't find an answer. Maybe I'm not asking the right question? Anyways, using a hot glue gun to glue scrap glass onto glass vases. Had several done then used Windex to clean one and the pieces literally fell off!! I'm soooo disappointed! What type of adhesive can I use that would dry clear as well as actually stick?! These are such simple projects and now they've become a time-waster if I can't get some simple GLUE!!!!! TIA

#2 Dawnt

Dawnt

Mister Sister

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:53 AM

E6000, available in the jewelry section of craft stores, works well for adhering glass. It is a very slow drying glue, however, so you'll need to use tape or something similar to keep the pieces stuck on for the 24 hours it takes the glue to cure. If you rough up the glass a little bit with sandpaper before gluing you'll get better adhesion. If you want something quick but not quite as reliable, superglue has some formulas that will work on glass, too.

#3 Stephen Richard

Stephen Richard

Real Estate Agent

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Interests:Leaded and stained glass, kiln forming, sandblasting, acid etching, restoration

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

Araldite 20/20 is very good. Dries clear, but takes 24 hours to cure.

#4 cefoley

cefoley

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

I've searched the site and can't find an answer. Maybe I'm not asking the right question? Anyways, using a hot glue gun to glue scrap glass onto glass vases. Had several done then used Windex to clean one and the pieces literally fell off!! I'm soooo disappointed! What type of adhesive can I use that would dry clear as well as actually stick?! These are such simple projects and now they've become a time-waster if I can't get some simple GLUE!!!!! TIA

One thing I do know is Krazy glue does not last..I glued a piece of glass on top of a piece of glass , it sat in the window for xmastime, when I took it out of the window, the glue had dried, got brittle, I guess, but the pieces fell off, it hit the ceramic floor & that was done!

#5 Dennis Brady

Dennis Brady

Curmudgeon

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:23 AM

Having experimented with more then a dozen different glues, I feel completely confident INSISTING that any glue other then UV cured can NOT be trusted to hold.

#6 DP

DP

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:54 PM

That's what I've been taught in glass school, and every class class I attended that mentioned the subject. UV-cured is the ticket, except that this glue is generally applied in as thin a coat as possible, and used sparingly.

However for the particulars of your project, you might want to try out clear silicon for glass. It won't be as clear, it will be flexible, but you can apply relatively large volumes. This is available at Wal-Mart and hardware stores, it is not a specialty product.

#7 glasstired

glasstired

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Glass panels, windows, lamps, teaching glass, woodwork and travel.

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:53 AM

That's what I've been taught in glass school, and every class class I attended that mentioned the subject. UV-cured is the ticket, except that this glue is generally applied in as thin a coat as possible, and used sparingly.

However for the particulars of your project, you might want to try out clear silicon for glass. It won't be as clear, it will be flexible, but you can apply relatively large volumes. This is available at Wal-Mart and hardware stores, it is not a specialty product.

I have had good success with Seal-All and it is not affected by solvents

#8 Stephen Richard

Stephen Richard

Real Estate Agent

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Interests:Leaded and stained glass, kiln forming, sandblasting, acid etching, restoration

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

Having experimented with more then a dozen different glues, I feel completely confident INSISTING that any glue other then UV cured can NOT be trusted to hold.

Your insistence does not make it true Dennis.
It may be true in your experience.
It is not in mine. there are very good two part epoxy resins that are excellent and are water resistant as the uv glues in general are not.

#9 Dennis Brady

Dennis Brady

Curmudgeon

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

It is not in mine. there are very good two part epoxy resins that are excellent and are water resistant as the uv glues in general are not.

My experience has been that anybody used 2 part epoxy for jewelry expediently learned it takes very little to pop it apart. So little, that every retailer with any experience will refuse to buy anything that has been glued on and invariably considers anything glued as the mark of amateur work.

Are you suggesting glass attached with UV glue will separate when wet?

All glue can be released. Epoxy comes off in hot water. A dishwasher will often release it. Boiling will always. UV cure glue comes off at about 400 deg F. Easily done in a kiln.

#10 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,126 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:16 PM

Silicone would probably be best for your specific requirements. If your gluing flat pieces to a round object, your contact area is not that big, so a "Gel" consistency would almost be needed to get entire surface contact, and fill for the gaps between the glass pieces. Silicone would fit that need. Excess between the gaps can be trimmed with a razor blade when cured.

There are some good 2 part epoxy adhesives out there, but the consistency may be too thin for your needs, and you would have to keep mixing fresh batches since the working life of a mixed product is usually very short.

There are also good UV adhesives out there, and I have found that they seem to be stronger than Epoxies. In fact, Commercial use of UV adhesives in glass repairs within the automotive field is exclusive now. I like them because most of the time, I can not prop up the pieces to be glued, and have to hold it in place until it sticks, which UV can do. You put the glue on the piece and expose it to the light source, and only the exposed part is stuck very quick. Its the same light index as glass, and does not yellow. If you held it right, a crack can be invisible.

Down side is a good UV light source can be pricey, if you don't want the sun to do it for you. Also, with colored glass, some colors can filter out the UV light needed to activate the adhesive. Then you have to have the right UV adhesive. One only hardens when exposed directly to UV light, and one only needs a part of it exposed, to start the hardening reaction through the entire repair. Just exposing an edge will start the cure. In my opinion, UV is great to fix a high dollar glass piece worth several hundred dollars, which makes it worth the trouble, but its not ideal for hobby use, because it is expensive, is a lot of trouble, and you need a good UV light source if you want to be serious.

My opinion from using all these, past and present. Other opinions may vary. There is no "perfect" adhesive for all requirements, but some are better for certain jobs than others. Even the best adhesives have a failing stress point, be it cold water, hot water, blow torch, hammer, or stick of dynamite, but lets stay within reality. None of these are going to affect your vases, except maybe water. Silicone fits your needs.

#11 GlassJaw

GlassJaw

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Glass, metal, wood, and stone work. Architecture, Art Nouveau, Arts & Crafts. Computers. Pre-Raphaelite art.

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

There is no "perfect" adhesive for all requirements, but some are better for certain jobs than others. Even the best adhesives have a failing stress point, be it cold water, hot water, blow torch, hammer, or stick of dynamite, but lets stay within reality. None of these are going to affect your vases, except maybe water. Silicone fits your needs.

+1

I agree. The right tool for the job is not always the most complicated or expensive one. The big picture must be taken into account.

#12 LaurieJoP

LaurieJoP

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:pets and pet rescue, gardening, stained glass, mosaics

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:46 PM

Wow everybody! Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I'll be getting back into it in a couple days and let y'all know what I find and how it goes. Thanks again!

#13 carolyny476

carolyny476

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:51 AM

E6000, available in the jewelry section of craft stores, works well for adhering glass. It is a very slow drying glue, however, so you'll need to use tape or something similar to keep the pieces stuck on for the 24 hours it takes the glue to cure. If you rough up the glass a little bit with sandpaper before gluing you'll get better adhesion. If you want something quick but not quite as reliable, superglue has some formulas that will work on glass, too.

Thanks you for the reply.

#14 Stephen Richard

Stephen Richard

Real Estate Agent

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:37 PM

Are you suggesting glass attached with UV glue will separate when wet?

Yes. Most uv glues deteriorate in the presence of moisture. It may take a long time.

#15 GlassMagick

GlassMagick

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:gardening, tarot, computer games

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Araldite 20/20 is very good. Dries clear, but takes 24 hours to cure.

Hi Stephen,

I will try this out, no issue with the 24 hour time, hot pot fusing takes just as long anyway, clear glue is what I need as I would like to stick the bits to a clear glass pane to create paintings with glass if that makes any sense.

Thank you so much,

Ank

#16 GlassMagick

GlassMagick

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

That would be what I need: clear glue that sticks the pieces together and does not come off when it is cleaned.

Ank

#17 Stephen Richard

Stephen Richard

Real Estate Agent

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Where did you did out that little controversy from?
There is the very strong Araldite 20/20; various 2 part epoxy resins, usually marketed for glass and ceramic repairs; silicone adhesive (a bit messy, but very versatile). These are the ones I know. Each weorks wellin the correct application.

#18 GlassMagick

GlassMagick

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Where did you did out that little controversy from?

Oops, apologies, from earlier posts! I was looking on the net to find some advice as to what sort of adhesive to use and 'stumbled on to' this forum and those particular posts. There was a discussion about uv glue and some glue that was not washing resistant or just 'fell off'.

Have bought some araldite type glue today, which looks transparent and can also use that to glue some of my smaller fused work onto metal for brooches and ear rings if all goes according to plan...

Hope that this cleared that up.

Ank

#19 janggeungulk

janggeungulk

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:26 AM

Cyanoacrylate Adhesive Glue is the best choice to fix glass to glass.

#20 Lane

Lane

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

this is an old thread but I think these sites are worth mentioning/bookmarking

this site has the best glass to glass glue summary:

www.gluehow.com/recommendation/glass/to/glass

this site is from the 90s but people still reference it

www.thistothat.com/cgi-bin/glue.cgi?lang=en&this=Glass&that=Glass