1 reply to this topic

#1 bn_here_b4

bn_here_b4

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:45 PM

I recently added a kiln to my glassworking equipment. My husband and I are trying to slump wine, beer, and soda bottles some of which have painted on labels. We've had good success with Corona bottles - the white parts come out white and the blue parts go to a very dark, almost black shade. However on other kinds of bottles the label designs remain intact, but all the colors fade to white. I expected some change in the colors but I was hoping that it would be more along the lines of reds turning browish and greens getting darker... I didn't expect all the colors to disappear. Is this a common occurrence, or a function of slumping at too high a temperature or for too long a time?

The firing schedule we used is:

Ramp @ 500F per hour to 1100F - 10 minute soak
Ramp @ 250F per hour to 1285F - 15 minute soak
Full Power to 1425F - 10 minute soak
Crash vent to 1100F - shut off power and crack kiln about 1" for 5 seconds. Do 4 or 5 times
From 1100F cool at 150F per hour to 1000F - 30 minute soak
From 1000F cool at 150F per hour to 500F and them shut off.
Open kiln once below 100F. (This takes overnight)

The kiln is an oval JenKen with an automatic controller. It is pretty large with inside dimensions of 39.5" x 24" x 9" deep. It appears to heat evenly as we get consistent results over all locations in the kiln. We haven't had any items crack or seen devitrification issues. Just wondering if there is something I can do to preserve the label colors.

Thanks!

#2 Stephen Richard

Stephen Richard

Real Estate Agent

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Interests:Leaded and stained glass, kiln forming, sandblasting, acid etching, restoration

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:10 AM

I recently added a kiln to my glassworking equipment. My husband and I are trying to slump wine, beer, and soda bottles some of which have painted on labels. We've had good success with Corona bottles - the white parts come out white and the blue parts go to a very dark, almost black shade. However on other kinds of bottles the label designs remain intact, but all the colors fade to white. I expected some change in the colors but I was hoping that it would be more along the lines of reds turning browish and greens getting darker... I didn't expect all the colors to disappear. Is this a common occurrence, or a function of slumping at too high a temperature or for too long a time?

Probably. A low temperature with a long soak may provide better results. The paints are usually low fire enamels, curing in the 500-550C range.

Comments/questions on schedule:

The firing schedule we used is:

Ramp @ 500F per hour to 1100F - 10 minute soak
I don't see what this soak is for. If it is for "temperature equalisation", then slow the rate of advance for more certain equalisation of temperature throughout the bottle.
Ramp @ 250F per hour to 1285F - 15 minute soak
Full Power to 1425F - 10 minute soak
If this is a bubble squeeze, it probably is too high.
Crash vent to 1100F - shut off power and crack kiln about 1" for 5 seconds. Do 4 or 5 times
This is not necessary, and ultimately will shorten the life of your kiln.
From 1100F cool at 150F per hour to 1000F - 30 minute soak
From 1000F cool at 150F per hour to 500F and them shut off.
Open kiln once below 100F. (This takes overnight)

The kiln is an oval JenKen with an automatic controller. It is pretty large with inside dimensions of 39.5" x 24" x 9" deep. It appears to heat evenly as we get consistent results over all locations in the kiln. We haven't had any items crack or seen devitrification issues. Just wondering if there is something I can do to preserve the label colors.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users