4 replies to this topic

#1 gram

gram

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:24 PM

After a break for the last couple of months I've started working on my project again....Can glass shrink! did I really grind that much! eek! I have some square bevels in this transom. Can I grind the edges or should I work on the pieces around them and leave them alone?

#2 Tod Beall

Tod Beall

Franchise Owner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Interests:Mostly flat glass. I started with sg over 30 years ago. I also collect books about sg. Please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book.

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:03 PM

I don't understand the question. Grind what? What shrank? - Tod

PS: No, glass can't shrink, although I assume that was a rhetorical question....

#3 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:57 PM

After a break for the last couple of months I've started working on my project again....Can glass shrink! did I really grind that much! eek! I have some square bevels in this transom. Can I grind the edges or should I work on the pieces around them and leave them alone?

You really dont want to mess with the bevels. I would refit the glass around them, and leave them alone. Not many shops are set up to regrind bevel edges, and have them end up looking good.

#4 Dawnt

Dawnt

Mister Sister

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:30 AM

You can grind bevels, but it is tricky. Do you need to take much off, or just a swipe here and there? If you can, I'd work on surrounding pieces or re-cut as needed. If you do decide to reshape the bevels a bit, I'd recommend using an almost-used-up grinder bit to avoid noticeable chipping, and go very easy.

#5 gram

gram

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think I was just overwhelmed. It's a fairly large project and I haven't looked at it for a while. I have been doing a little each day and I think I'm getting myself back in the right frame of mind.
Gram

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users