5 replies to this topic

#1 BamaBelle

BamaBelle

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:13 PM

Hi, I've been doing stained glass for a couple of years. Mostly suncatchers, small panels; etc. I've only done copper foil, as I don't have room to work with came. I'm thinking that I'd like to do some bevel projects. I wondered if anyone could give me a few tips. Do you foil and solder bevels like you do flat glass, or is there a different technique required? I'd appreciated any help you guys could give me!!!

#2 Rebecca

Rebecca

Restaurateur

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:10 PM

'Zackly the same!

Rebecca

#3 Fox

Fox

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

Hi, I've been doing stained glass for a couple of years. Mostly suncatchers, small panels; etc. I've only done copper foil, as I don't have room to work with came. I'm thinking that I'd like to do some bevel projects. I wondered if anyone could give me a few tips. Do you foil and solder bevels like you do flat glass, or is there a different technique required? I'd appreciated any help you guys could give me!!!

I would mask them (see pic), even if it's just a matter of putting a strip of tape over the front (beveled) surface. With those good work habits that we should all have it shouldn't be necessary (and you'll have to wipe off the tape marks afterwards) but it beats finishing a panel and finding a glaring scratch -- which on a bevel is any scratch at all.

Attached Files

#4 Tod Beall

Tod Beall

Daily Mirror Owner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Mostly flat glass. I started with sg over 30 years ago. I also collect books about sg. Please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book.

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

I also put tape on bevels or any glass which may be hard to clean or "soft". Cheap insurance.
Otherwise, process is what you're used to except that you'll need to shim up the flat/thin glass so it won't bend when you flip the piece to work on the back.
- Tod

#5 Celtic Butterfly

Celtic Butterfly

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

I would mask them (see pic), even if it's just a matter of putting a strip of tape over the front (beveled) surface. With those good work habits that we should all have it shouldn't be necessary (and you'll have to wipe off the tape marks afterwards) but it beats finishing a panel and finding a glaring scratch -- which on a bevel is any scratch at all.

Huh...good tip never even thought of that!

#6 BamaBelle

BamaBelle

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

Thank ya'll so much for the tips. I kind of suspected that the bevels would be about the same to work with, but thought I'd ask, as I think most everybody here has a lot more experience than I have. The tape is a good idea, one I'll certainly write down. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users