• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Rock music. ZB Custom pedal steel, virtual synths,Yamaha electronic drum kit, guitar playing. Growing veganic, organic vegetables, wild life, helping out at the animal sanctuary, running.

Posted 21 May 2011 - 04:14 PM

I know most people think stretching came is an old wives tale. However I wondering about this regarding the following situation. I recently saw the following blurb in a retailers sales ad. Is there any truth in what he says about stretching the kinks in rolled came out etc, or is just his sales pitch?

" If you ever purchase lead from a store they have a nasty tendancy to bend the lead in half or coil the lead for packaging purposes. This destroys half the lead came and trying to stretch the kinks out is almost impossible. "

#2 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,141 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 21 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

I know most people think stretching came is an old wives tale. However I wondering about this regarding the following situation. I recently saw the following blurb in a retailers sales ad. Is there any truth in what he says about stretching the kinks in rolled came out etc, or is just his sales pitch?

" If you ever purchase lead from a store they have a nasty tendancy to bend the lead in half or coil the lead for packaging purposes. This destroys half the lead came and trying to stretch the kinks out is almost impossible. "

The big issue on stretching lead was the question of "Was in required, and did it make the came stronger." Its not required, and it does NOT make the lead stronger. It is, however, the only way to get the kinks and bends out, and it does make the lead "stiffer" for a short while. I stretch my lead because I like ti straight as an arrow and I like the way it lays against the glass when its stiffer. Its easier for me to work with that way. Never had any problem straightening came that was bent in half or coiled. I use as much stretching as is required to get it straight.

#3 Rebecca

Rebecca

Chocolatier

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:31 PM

The big issue on stretching lead was the question of "Was in required, and did it make the came stronger." Its not required, and it does NOT make the lead stronger. It is, however, the only way to get the kinks and bends out, and it does make the lead "stiffer" for a short while. I stretch my lead because I like ti straight as an arrow and I like the way it lays against the glass when its stiffer. Its easier for me to work with that way. Never had any problem straightening came that was bent in half or coiled. I use as much stretching as is required to get it straight.

Yep, I agree with Boris. It's very easy to stretch the kinks out. I think the blurb is nonsense.

Rebecca

#4 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Rock music. ZB Custom pedal steel, virtual synths,Yamaha electronic drum kit, guitar playing. Growing veganic, organic vegetables, wild life, helping out at the animal sanctuary, running.

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:56 AM

Yep, I agree with Boris. It's very easy to stretch the kinks out. I think the blurb is nonsense.

Rebecca

Um, I thought that might be the case, just a ploy to slag off the competition.
Thanx.

#5 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:58 AM

OK thanks Boris.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users