39 replies to this topic

#1 Stormie

Stormie

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:26 PM

Fairly new to working with stained glass but know I want I to stick with it. I have been given a small section of the new work shop/garage in which to have a glass work area. Now is the fun part of designing it but I'm a bit lost. I do have two really old wooden drafting tables that I want in there. I love them to pieces. They are beautiful old pieces with cabinets and drawers and nice metal on them. They aren't ideal for working on stained glass but I use them now in the porch and are nice for drawing too. So I'm looking for tips and ideas. Should haves and shouldn't haves that others have.

My space is limited, odd shaped and upstairs but beggars can't be choosers when trying to fit a girly stained glass room into a man cave type of workshop. The upstairs is only going to be a corner of the building. I am attaching a drawing of the area. Posted Image

There WILL be some windows up there and some type of vent for soldering. There won't be a solid wall on the right. It will be railing and a gate so that we can lift heavy/large stuff up there with the forklift. I would love a sink but I think that is out unless it's like a dry sink. There is going to be a large...LARGE as in bath tub sink downstairs. If I have my way this will be a temp. glass area since I want to put up another building with a summer kitchen that will also have a glass shop in it and another workroom area for reloading.

#2 Stormie

Stormie

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

is there any way to delete replies on there?

#3 Stephen Richard

Stephen Richard

Real Estate Agent

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Interests:Leaded and stained glass, kiln forming, sandblasting, acid etching, restoration

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

"is there any way to delete replies on there? "
If it is your own posts you can edit them and delete the whole post. If it is somebody else's you need to contact the moderators.

I will do the obvious:
vertical glass storage
horizontal storage for drawings
tool drawers, unless you like them hanging on peg boards
Work boards for the tops of the drafting tables

But in general, my suggestion is to start small and build up the equipment and storage as you need and as you gain experience. I have been changing things around for 16 years and have finally found a few things I keep, even though lots of other things change.

#4 Stormie

Stormie

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:59 PM

It was mine own. I hit the wrong button when I went to edit. I didn't see a delete button and tried the delete all the text but that didn't work.

I plan to do the book shelve type of glass storage and I have about 24 plastic shoe boxes of scrap glass that I do not want stacked. Tired of having to unstack them because the color I need is always on the bottom. I already have a huge collection of glass stuff or as my family calls it my ever growing obsession with glass. There are 3 large glass crates and one even larger plus a bunch of totes and another wooden glass shelve.

I have a 2 grinders and a glass saw and I was thinking about having my light table built into a counter or table.

#5 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:04 PM

Not a bad sized area for a work area. To me, drafting tables are ideal, and I also like the looks of them I have used them for years. They turn up at auctions and sell pretty cheap. The one main one I use now, is made of oak and very sturdy. I can use horshoe nails right in the suface, plus its thick enough to use for any type of work. I like old stuff and old tools to work with, and all my shp furniture is old, except for one desk. Thats going to be replaced with an old single station watchmakers or jewelers bench, as soon as I find one. I have a two station watchmakers bench now, but another one like it would not fit where I want it, so a single will have to do. Good luck with your design, and post us some pictures when you get it set up.

#6 Stormie

Stormie

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:54 AM

I'll have to get photos of the drafting tables I have. They came out of the local high school. Not a large work surface on them but more then enough to sit a grinder or saw on. For now I have the grinder on one and the saw on the other and lay stuff out on the large freezer in the porch. Not ideal since every time someone has to go into the freeze I have to move everything.

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:27 AM

Renovation is very necessary for a home.I'm going to renovating home kitchen set up.One of my friend tell me about this to see this and i see is really good for take ideas from there....this will be helpful for me.I will be post my renovated kitchen sketch here as soon as possible.

#8 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Stormie & everyone else, Let's take this thread out of hibernation. I would love to see the photos of your SG work areas. I am always looking for creative ideas & solutions for maximizing space, comfortable heights of work tops while standing(your height vs height of work surface), & flow of work. I am in the process of adding an upstairs to part of my shop 19' x 34' (minus stairwell) with a 9' x 19' storage room on one end & a 14' x 19' storage room on the other. Any & all of it will be available for stained glass work/storage. My grinders are in totes for easy moving. There will 4 outlets every 32" over the bench areas, under the edge of the large work table, & one set suspended from the ceiling over the large worktable which can be hooked up out of the way when not in use. Suggestions, comments are welcome. (I drew my plans using Excel but am unable to upload it. I took pictures but am not sure if they will be legible).
Thanks! John

#9 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Sorry, Duplicate - I do not know how to delete it.

#10 Stormie

Stormie

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

John it seems that your attachments didn't work.

I'll have to update my floor plan above since the measurements I had at the time didn't happen once we started building. I'll add in all of the tables and counter tops that I put in. The area is far to small for me, my kiln ended up down stairs but it's in the works to make the upstairs a little larger. More glass storage and hopefully kiln space! I still don't have my glass racks, most is in crates and totes.

These photos are old, from when I first moved in. Since then I have added more counter top by the stairs. That spread out my work stations some....then I added another saw(band saw) and that took up some of the free space. I was able to add another paper file storage thing for glass on top of the crates. The bookshelf turned glass rack is now across from the two drafting tables and has my fusing glass. Where that was is a large work table. I found that I couldn't be without a larger table to work with even though I haven't had to solder anything large enough to need it for that I have needed it for cutting large sheets. There is now a computer set up on the one drafting table. We also added a shelf over the one railing. It wouldn't let me load that photo so I have to resize it. I put my glass nuggets in old canning jars on that. My came is in boxes tied on the railing and there is a magazine rack, like in a waiting room nailed to the railing to store catalogs and papers.

Attached Files

#11 stargazer99

stargazer99

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Retired tool and die maker. Decorative ironwork, German Shepherds, precision machining, stained glass

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Fairly new to working with stained glass but know I want I to stick with it. I have been given a small section of the new work shop/garage in which to have a glass work area. Now is the fun part of designing it but I'm a bit lost. I do have two really old wooden drafting tables that I want in there. I love them to pieces. They are beautiful old pieces with cabinets and drawers and nice metal on them. They aren't ideal for working on stained glass but I use them now in the porch and are nice for drawing too. So I'm looking for tips and ideas. Should haves and shouldn't haves that others have.

My space is limited, odd shaped and upstairs but beggars can't be choosers when trying to fit a girly stained glass room into a man cave type of workshop. The upstairs is only going to be a corner of the building. I am attaching a drawing of the area. Posted Image

My glass shop is in a constant state of flux. Always moving things around. I finally started building shelves, workbenches and tables myself to fit in my spaces. Some tips I have found: I
plug my soldering iron into an outlet strip along with some bench lights. That way it's easy to see when I leave the shop and never leave it on. Another thing I use: For soldering ventilation I use a
used bathroom vent fan connected to some dryer hose to a piece of plywood I can stick in an open window. Really gets the fumes out in a hurry. I also put a few outlets in the ceiling so wires aren't laying around the floor. Hope some of this helps.

There WILL be some windows up there and some type of vent for soldering. There won't be a solid wall on the right. It will be railing and a gate so that we can lift heavy/large stuff up there with the forklift. I would love a sink but I think that is out unless it's like a dry sink. There is going to be a large...LARGE as in bath tub sink downstairs. If I have my way this will be a temp. glass area since I want to put up another building with a summer kitchen that will also have a glass shop in it and another workroom area for reloading.

#12 stargazer99

stargazer99

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Retired tool and die maker. Decorative ironwork, German Shepherds, precision machining, stained glass

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

My reply got stuck in the middle of the original post???

#13 Stormie

Stormie

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Here is the nugget shelf. It is on the rail above where the bookshelf rack was, now the table is there. I'm chopping at the bit for the addition of the studio. It will be the same width as the section with the drafting tables, starting from there going to the far wall. There will be a step up to go into there but that is fine with me.

Attached Files

#14 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Stormie,  The attachments may have been victims of the recent hacker attack.  I will repost my tentative floor plan, glass storage bins, & project / misc storage rack. (The size of the area is set.)  Again I welcome feedback & suggestions.Attached File  SG Shop Floor Plan.JPG   38.94K   5 downloadsAttached File  SAM_0120.JPG   58.98K   6 downloads

#15 Stormie

Stormie

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Here is an update of how I ended up using my space.  The counters are 36" high but I have 1" mats making them 35" which is fine for short me.  The table is much shorter and not idea for working at.  Hoping to put locking wheels on it.   The left wall is 17'8", the top wall is 15'6"  The left part is 5'4" wide and the top/right part is 6'6" wide.  The plan is to add on to the right part.  It would be 6'6" wide of course and about 17' long.

Studiotext_zpsc5f593a8.jpg

#16 Ayoakum

Ayoakum

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

I just finished my indoor work area in a spare bedroom...seems like every time I think it's done, I find something else to add.  This hobby is becoming an obsession :)  It's a small space but cozy and plenty of room to work.  I tried to add pics but the system won't cooperate - can anyone share how to insert a pic?

#17 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

To post a photo:  1 - Write you comments.  2 - In the lower right corner choose <More Reply Options>  This will bring a file selector which works like windows explorer. Choose "Browse" and find the photo you wish to upload.  3 - Under the "Browse" box choose <Attach to File>  4 - After a short pause on the right side of the edit box choose <Add to Post>  *** Note *** There is a size limit you can upload so you will probably need to size you photo down.  72dpi, 12 x 12 inches or smaller works well. This will allow you to post several photos

#18 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

Stormie,  You said your working height is 35", may I ask how tall you are?  I'm 5'10", My wife & son are 6'2", our daughter-in-law is 5'2"  and I am trying to figure in different work surface heights which will accommodate everyone.  I up for suggestions.  A thought to increase your storage space, I have loft space along side of a higher center area.  Where your railings are, you could have a shelf(s) which rest on the railing & extend out over the open area then reach up and attach to the ceiling/roof supports.  Mine stick out 24" & add a lot of storage while maintaining a higher area underneath for operating engine lifts & such. On the right side where you are storing your glass, when you lengthen it to 17' it would really give you more storage or you could use the outer wall for storage & use the overhang for a long counter/work table.  A thought.

#19 Stormie

Stormie

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

I'm about 5'3", maybe a little shorter.  You could try your counters in the kitchen to see if that height would be good or not and then go from there. 

I do have on shelve out over the railing, The photo above with the jars of nuggets shows it. .  Not too much can hang over the sides because of the car lift he wants to put in.  Once we add on to the north end of the upstairs I'm planning on hanging old doors and windows from the ceiling to display my work.  I think up against the wall but also above the railing.  Org. he didn't want to make it go the the way to the right because of working on the Skidder and semi trucks but not he is given in on that. 

Getting my glass rack made would help with storeage too.  About ready to trade photo prints with the neighbor and have him build them.

#20 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

I just finished my indoor work area in a spare bedroom...seems like every time I think it's done, I find something else to add.  This hobby is becoming an obsession :)  It's a small space but cozy and plenty of room to work.  I tried to add pics but the system won't cooperate - can anyone share how to insert a pic?

Get used to that. I have changed my shop around at least 20 times adding new things and tooling.  It never ends. Now I have to move the kilns to another wall, since adding the big one messed up the space I had them in.  Bad part is, I also have to rewire that side of the shop now also.  Waiting for the weather to break and warmer days.  Also, never enough room for more  bench space. It just goes on and on...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users