39 replies to this topic

#21 Stormie

Stormie

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

I'll have to rewire too when we move the kiln upstairs but it will be worth it.  Now I have to keep it on a rolling stand and move it out when I want to use it and back under the stairs when I'm done.  It's kind of in the way when I'm using it.

#22 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

I use EMT conduit on the wall for my wiring in the shop. It makes it easy to add circuits/outlets & is a whole lot faster to do than having to crawl into attic spaces or under floor & fish wires. The conduit comes in 10' lengths. Over work benches I cut the conduit into 40" lengths (3/piece of conduit) and use a 4" square box with 4 places to plug into starting at one end of the bench.  If I decide later to add a light over the bench it is easy to set another box with a switch wired to an outlet above it and in less than 15 minutes it is done, ready to use. (I know, hanging tools on the conduit is a no-no.)

Attached File  Temp Glass Shop Dec. 2009 (5)_sm.jpg   43.86K   6 downloads

#23 Stormie

Stormie

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

I have conduilt in the studio too.  The whole garage is done with it.  Hoping to do that in the barn as well.

#24 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

I have conduilt in the studio too.  The whole garage is done with it.  Hoping to do that in the barn as well.

My 110v wiring is in flex armor and the 220v is on the wall behind the kilns now. WIll probably run that in conduit now, since have to move it about 20 feet. Two of the kilns run on 110 and the other two on 220. The big one has a dedicated 50 amp  220 line of its own. Its never ending change when you have a shop.  Being a tool freak does not help either... :jester:

#25 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

Added another tool a couple of weeks ago, so now have to add another 220 wall receptacle. Added a TIG welder so I can weld brass, copper and Bronze, and am retiring the MIG .  At least it will only take up the same space, and use the same argon gas.  Its always something....

#26 Stormie

Stormie

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

My dad and brother are welders.  My dad has a shop, he is retired now but has another guy running it for him.  Me...not going to do it.  Never liked the idea of it for one but I also get headaches when I'm around the shop too long.  One time it was welind on conduit and it put me in the ER with a migraine.

We remodled the studio, sooner then planned.  Added whole nother section to it so I have a 6'6" by 17" add on.  We put 12 feet of glass racks and a bench that hangs out over the railing by a foot.  This gave room to move the kiln upstairs and actually have room to move around.

The new part is on the right, the part with the white board  across the railing.

DSC03318_zpse0147f1f.jpg

This is lookining into the new part from the old.  The kiln is now where that pile of stuff is on the left.

DSC03307_zpsfb7ed4af.jpg

Closer shot of the glass racks

DSC03312_zps11469a7f.jpg

Looking from the new part to the old.  I still can't believe that all of that stuff fit into this space.

DSC03308_zps546924d8.jpg

#27 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:48 AM

Looking Good! The glass rack - You have to love it!   :confetti:

John

#28 Stormie

Stormie

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

I do love the glass rack.  It could have been a little longer but I got it all to fit in there.  The first two sections are normal glass, the 3rd is fusible.  Before I had glass shoved everywhere.  Some I couldn't even get to.  I would order glass only to find later I had some on hand.  The large sheets of fusible I had just picked up was just leaning against a glass crate because I had no place for it.

We tried to use mostly what we had on hand for the whole addition.  I think in the end the whole thing cost only around $300 out of pocket.  That includes the rewiring and glass racks.

#29 stargazer99

stargazer99

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Retired tool and die maker. Decorative ironwork, German Shepherds, precision machining, stained glass

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

Added another tool a couple of weeks ago, so now have to add another 220 wall receptacle. Added a TIG welder so I can weld brass, copper and Bronze, and am retiring the MIG .  At least it will only take up the same space, and use the same argon gas.  Its always something....

Tig is the way to go with any kind of variety welding.  Breaking up my tool and die shop and  sold my Miller Tig.  I know I'll probably regret it but needed the money.  I think you'll find it very useful and fun when you get the hang of it.  They can make some beautiful welds on even some very thin materials.   In trade school we cut up aluminum beer cans and welded the pieces together.

Have fun with it.

#30 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Tig is the way to go with any kind of variety welding.  Breaking up my tool and die shop and  sold my Miller Tig.  I know I'll probably regret it but needed the money.  I think you'll find it very useful and fun when you get the hang of it.  They can make some beautiful welds on even some very thin materials.   In trade school we cut up aluminum beer cans and welded the pieces together.

Have fun with it.

Looking forward to it. Never used one before. Have stick welded and Mig welded, but  thats it. I need to be able to do silicon bronze , brass, and copper, so TIG is the only choice, other than gas welding, which I have, but  open flame can do more damage than good, and its nasty. Lot of the stuff I do has to be treated like fine jewelry, and mistakes are not forgiving.  I have a piec right now to do, which is a good size Bronze Cowboy on a Horse, that is broke off the base at the feet.  Did not want to take a "Torch" to that piece.  I think it will hold OK with welded Silicon Bronze rod.  The feet are not big enough in daimeter to drill and put support rods in. Before I attempt that repair, I will be doing a lot of practice runs.

#31 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

I do love the glass rack.  It could have been a little longer but I got it all to fit in there.  The first two sections are normal glass, the 3rd is fusible.  Before I had glass shoved everywhere.  Some I couldn't even get to.  I would order glass only to find later I had some on hand.  The large sheets of fusible I had just picked up was just leaning against a glass crate because I had no place for it.

We tried to use mostly what we had on hand for the whole addition.  I think in the end the whole thing cost only around $300 out of pocket.  That includes the rewiring and glass racks.

Super looking set up.  wish I had the room for a rack like that.  Thanks for the pictures.

#32 margarets1

margarets1

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Gardening replaced by dog shows; stained glass

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:50 PM

Nice workshops. Love the glass storage, stormie.

I'm back again searching the net looking for ideas (again) for re-vamping my glass space. I'm getting rid of the home improvement DIY stuff, so my dungeon space will increase. I will have basement steps going right down the middle of the my glass space. Not ideal but I'll take it! I'm trying to determine which glass functions would work best in the new area.

#33 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:26 PM

Keep us informed and post pictures.  I am getting ready to move and relocate everything in my shop. Added more tooling and now need to arrange it all to fit.  Like trying to stuff a gallon in a quart jar.  Also new lighting, more wiring, and more shelving.

#34 margarets1

margarets1

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:39 PM

'...Like trying to stuff a gallon in a quart jar.' LoL Boris, yes that's often the case.

#35 Stormie

Stormie

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:07 PM

I love that this keeps popping back up.  It's cool to see how my studio changed.  Seems like the new part was added on years ago but it hasn't even been 2 years yet!!!!   One thing I have learned is that it doesn't matter how much space you put in for storing glass it is no where near enough.  My 12 or so feet of racks are packed full and I have glass again in crates and boxes.  Didn't help when I went and bought out two other artist last summer.  It's so bad I'm thinking of having a glass yard sale to weed down on the stuff I don't use.  I did add a big cabinet, that is ugly but holds my molds and a few odds and ends.  Got it free but at some point it must have been painted by a redneck polar bear because it's looks like blue camo print. That got the molds off the shelves so they stay cleaner and let me have some space for my ever growing pepsi collection.   Another thing I didn't factor in is storage for my show stuff.  I'm doing art sales now and have to store my tent, gridwall, boxes of suncatches, panels, tables, and display stuff under the stairs which gets me dirty looks.....How dare the girly glass stuff invade the manly workshop after all.  I have found a set of drawers I want for the studio.  I know it's a day dream.  They are $1200, very large and would require me to give up my polar bear camo cabinet and the table(who still hasn't gotten the wheels or lifts put on his legs).  But I dream of it, it's beautiful, old wood with a bunch of drawers that have dividers in many of them.  It would be prefect for scrap glass and other stuff.  It's around 2.5" by 8 or 9ft.  Maybe 4 ft tall.  Org it was in out of aUniversity which goes with my drafting tables that came from University of WI and then the high school in my town.  I drool over it everytime I got to that antique store.  Almost freaked when they moved it to another room and I didn't see it. 

#36 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:55 PM

Yep, Always liked this thread, being a tool freak.  Have started arranging and moving stuff, while trying to still get jobs done for clients. Problem with restoration work is that it expands in diverse directions, since all materials are involved and not just glass. That requires more tools and equipment. More tools and equipment requires more bench space and shelf space.  If you have no more, then you improvise and see if everything was placed for maximum space saving, and ease of use.

#37 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:01 AM

Resurrecting this post again. 

Stormie, do you have an update on your work space?

#38 margarets1

margarets1

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:59 PM

I love getting notifications on this thread. Was hoping to see more photos. I am in the midst of re-doing my workshop again. I had to get some remedial work done in the basement, so for the first time, I’m getting walls - real interior walls! I won’t have to see the foundation stone anymore! I thought I was going to put in a drop ceiling but alas, some areas of the space are only 7ft high so the contractor is doing an exposed ceiling. Luckily for me, by trade, contractor is an electrician so he will move/remove the tons of wires currently adorning the ceiling. And of course, adding more wiring. The walls are getting insulated this week so should see some interior walls next week. It’ll be a whole new look!

I’m looking for storage ideas. Due to the unexpected timing of this project, I’m really working on the cheap. I don’t really have anyone to build things for me so I’m hoping to score some storage at places like IKEA,etc.

#39 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:19 PM

I love getting notifications on this thread. Was hoping to see more photos. I am in the midst of re-doing my workshop again. I had to get some remedial work done in the basement, so for the first time, I’m getting walls - real interior walls! I won’t have to see the foundation stone anymore! I thought I was going to put in a drop ceiling but alas, some areas of the space are only 7ft high so the contractor is doing an exposed ceiling. Luckily for me, by trade, contractor is an electrician so he will move/remove the tons of wires currently adorning the ceiling. And of course, adding more wiring. The walls are getting insulated this week so should see some interior walls next week. It’ll be a whole new look!

I’m looking for storage ideas. Due to the unexpected timing of this project, I’m really working on the cheap. I don’t really have anyone to build things for me so I’m hoping to score some storage at places like IKEA,etc.

I am in the process again, of changing up my shop too.  Lacked the bench space so everything got put in boxes or shelves and gotten out when I needed it, and its hard to remember where you put a tool when you needed it, or its a lot of effort to move one bench tool and exchange it with another  for a day or two. Will have some pictures when I get closer to being done. Am sorting through boxes of tools and material , some not seen for a few years so its like Xmas early. Have four overhead lights to install and a dust collector/filter that hangs from the ceiling and two small kilns to move yet. The big one will stay where it is. Too heavy to mess with and too big to fit anyplace.  Am happy with the progress so far. Its only been a week since I started because I could not find anything I needed. LOL.

#40 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:27 AM

Work spaces are definitely dynamic, changing to meet the current project - tool/supplies additions.

-  Margaret, looking forward to see photos of your work area as you progress.

-  Boris, that is the truth about finding treasures forgotten over the years which have been hidden in boxes & corners!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users