#41 margarets1

margarets1

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Gardening replaced by dog shows; stained glass

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:44 PM

A short update. I have interior walls now so Ive been able to get some realistic measurements. Im curious about what everyone uses for storage. I dont think its in the budget based on quotes I received to have pieces built. Theres always the glass storage question. I have tons of 12x12 Fusing glass; Im now leaning toward an Ikea kallax room divider type thingy for holding square foot glass. Each opening is 13x13. Many ppl use it for holding record albums (whats that? my millennial one asks). Anyone use them? I think if I put a plywood back on it and attach to wall, it will be strong enough, I hope.

What do you use to store your multiples? Puddles of different colors, the stringers and rods. All the frit bottles. Then theres the stained glass multiples - foil and diff sizes, solders, angel heads. So much I cant r

#42 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:36 AM

The "Cube" Unit looks like an affordable option.  The one I saw on the Ikea site has 16 holes for $109.  Things to consider:

-  Each 12" x 12" piece of 1/8" glass is around 1.5 lbs.  Each opening on the "cube" unit is rated at 29 pounds which means 19 - 20 pieces per hole.

-   If you round the 29 lbs to 30 lbs & times it by 16 then add the weight of the shelf unit (around 130 lbs) the total weight if fully loaded will be around 500 lbs. It will need to sit on the floor or another sturdy shelf. 

-  With this in mind, a sheet of 1/4" thick plywood will be all it takes for a back to keep it from collapsing sideways.  (The unit is basically 5' x 5' so after cutting off the 3' at the end you can use pieces of the 3' piece to cover the remaining opening backs.)

As far as the back-up/reserve supplies other than glass, I use shoe box sized plastic boxes with lids.  Unless you pack one with solder, they are easy to handle & normally a manageable weight.  They should work for the frit bottles as well.  If you get clear plastic boxes, it helps to see at a glance what is in them without having to look for labels.

-  For smaller pieces of glass I have stacks of roughly 8" x 10" x 2" tall baby wipe boxes I was able to collect from a nursing home several years ago which work great for keeping smaller pieces of glass organized & separated by colors & textures.  I leave the lids off so I can stack several boxes of a color, (blue, green, red, ...) together on the shelves.  I have several shelves which are spaced around 8" apart to stack them on.  So if I am looking for a certain color & texture of red, I can pull down one of the stacks of red, spread the boxed on the bench & start looking.  If it is not in the first stack i put them away & get down another stack to check out.  When I am cutting I keep the ones with the type & color of glass I need at hand & they are there to receive the smaller remnants from the larger sheets.  This save me quite a bit of time.

- If the rods & stringers are 13" long they can be stored in 11-1/2" lengths of pvc pipe, . If the rods & stringers are shorter, cut the pvc 1-2" shorter than the rods/stringers so it is easy to pull the rods out.  Pvc pipe normally comes in 10' lengths so you will get 10 tubes of the 11-1/2' length per pipe.  You just have to decide which diameter will work best for you.  You may even want a larger size for some frequently used colors & smaller for ones you have in small quantities.  You could stack the tubes flat in one or more of the cubes of the above mentioned unit or in milk crates stacked on their sides placed on top or beside your cube unit. You will need to place a piece of solid material in back of the tubes to keep the rods/stringers in the tubes.

Please keep us updated.

#43 margarets1

margarets1

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 10:52 AM

Thank you very much John for the weight analysis! I needed to know that but didn’t know how to get there. Thanks! I’m such a glass hoarder.

Any Frit? I have lots to store. I wanted to store them on shelves so I could pick colors at a glance, but I can’t seem to find anything compact.

I’m going to order new kiln stands. I found my larger kiln leaning over as one of the stand legs was leaning inward. I’m glad I caught it before it came crashing down as contractors working around them. Happy to see paragon discontinued these stands. The stands can get pricey but worthwhile; heavy too!

I have a clamshell kiln that I love except I haven’t found a way for the top to stay up on its on own. It seems to open beyond 180 degrees. (I’d like to try combing.)I had Jerry-rigged something before but won’t have same options after renovations. Any ideas?

#44 Glass guy

Glass guy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:31 PM

image.jpg
New here and trying to post a pic of my workspace

#45 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:11 PM

Thank you very much John for the weight analysis! I needed to know that but didn’t know how to get there. Thanks! I’m such a glass hoarder.

Any Frit? I have lots to store. I wanted to store them on shelves so I could pick colors at a glance, but I can’t seem to find anything compact.

I’m going to order new kiln stands. I found my larger kiln leaning over as one of the stand legs was leaning inward. I’m glad I caught it before it came crashing down as contractors working around them. Happy to see paragon discontinued these stands. The stands can get pricey but worthwhile; heavy too!

I have a clamshell kiln that I love except I haven’t found a way for the top to stay up on its on own. It seems to open beyond 180 degrees. (I’d like to try combing.)I had Jerry-rigged something before but won’t have same options after renovations. Any ideas?

I need to add a lid assist lifting device of some kind to my large kiln since it seems to get heavier each day. Its an Evenheat 2541-13 with a Rampmaster Controller and the lid is pretty heavy. I bought a steel cable and some pulleys, and plan to rig a pulley system from the ceiling , behind the kiln and attach it to the front handle, and weigh the other end down with lead weights until the lid is neutral in weight so it stays where I lift it.  I could buy the lifter for it but its pretty pricey, and will be a last resort.  Also need to make a wall unit to store glass in. Like you, I have tons of glass now packed away in bins that I need to put out and use up. Benn buying glass as I need it for work in progress, and not using what I have.  I am in progress of moving and arranging the entire shop between jobs, so too many projects going on at the same time. LOL

#46 margarets1

margarets1

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:34 PM

Still working on my basement workshop.

Although I’ve used spectrum glass since the 90s, I was surprised to see they had a pdf on outfitting your space. In case others didn’t see it:

http://www.spectrumg...ary/Display.pdf

Despite the snow blizzard on the east coast, I’ll have to drag myself out to ikea. I looked a lots of glass or craft rooms. A majority of them had the Ikea Alex series for storage. I have lots of different, little bins for angel projects, fusing puddles, jewelry findings, etc etc. so I’m looking to consolidate all the junk, um I mean, components.

I hope my next post will have some pictures. I have so much crap in the basement, most everything is stacked in the center and to the ceiling. You can’t see much of anything right now.

#47 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:22 PM

Thanks for that PDF on display.

#48 Berna

Berna

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for all this info on weight and storage. I am going to move to another home in two or three months and will have reduced storage place, so this all comes in handy. It is interesting though to plan a new workshop, it makes you review your methods. I have had a period of revalidation after a nasty ankle fracture, so I will be happy to start hobbying again. 

#49 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:41 PM

Margaret, Thanks for sharing the display link.  It's always fun to see how others organize shop space.

#50 margarets1

margarets1

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:50 AM

Hi all, progress is moving along in my workspace update but I just had to share my new glass storage. Im doing the happy dance! I have my 12x12s in 3 rat pack crates and the bending over to flip through glass was killing my back. I talked of using the Ikea kallax in previous posts. Here it is and its really sturdy. I havent finished organizing it but you glassers will get the idea.

#51 margarets1

margarets1

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:52 AM

Ok, so I’ll need to work on how to get photo uploaded. Check back later

#52 margarets1

margarets1

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:19 AM

Seems to be a problem uploading a photo to this site. Not sure how glass guy did it, but from posts here (in another thread) photo upload has been having problems since last fall.

#53 margarets1

margarets1

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:58 PM

My next project in my workshop will be to find storage items for warm glass stuff like molds and frit.

#54 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:56 PM

My next project in my workshop will be to find storage items for warm glass stuff like molds and frit.

I am still having a problem figuring out where anything goes so it will all fit, just in tools and equipment, so it can be used easily if needed. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users