• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 stargazer99

stargazer99

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Retired tool and die maker. Decorative ironwork, German Shepherds, precision machining, stained glass

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

I recieved a bottle cutter awhile back for my birthday. I've had mixed results. Afterward I built a heavier and sturdier one with also just mixed results. I end up with much more material for the cement mixer with sand making beach glass. Anyone try this? Any luck? I'm using the candle/ice cube method,found that to be the best for me anyway. Thanks for your comments.

#2 Rebecca

Rebecca

Restaurateur

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

I have tried different bottle cutters and different breaking methods and never had better than 50% success. There are a lot of videos on youtube showing different methods. I have tried them all, but maybe you will have better luck. They are fun to watch, anyway.

Rebecca

#3 stargazer99

stargazer99

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Retired tool and die maker. Decorative ironwork, German Shepherds, precision machining, stained glass

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

I have tried different bottle cutters and different breaking methods and never had better than 50% success. There are a lot of videos on youtube showing different methods. I have tried them all, but maybe you will have better luck. They are fun to watch, anyway.

Rebecca

#4 stargazer99

stargazer99

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

Rebbeca,
Thanks for your input. I have probably more like 75% success, but mostly small blips running off score line. Going to try grinding before wet sanding edges. I know that the wall thickness varies quite a bit and the glass is not the best to work with. Just wondering if anyone is having real good results with this. Lots of neat things can be made windchimes, candle holders, etc. Guess I might be having good results after all. Art

#5 DebN

DebN

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

A tile wet saw works pretty well for cutting the wine bottles horizontally or vertically. If you want to just take out some of the bottom of the bottle to use it as a candle cover, you can buy a diamond coated core cutting bit and use it with a drill - make sure you keep the drill bit wet.

#6 stargazer99

stargazer99

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

Attached File  001.JPG   199.51K   73 downloads

A tile wet saw works pretty well for cutting the wine bottles horizontally or vertically. If you want to just take out some of the bottom of the bottle to use it as a candle cover, you can buy a diamond coated core cutting bit and use it with a drill - make sure you keep the drill bit wet.

I broke down and ordered a wet tile saw and it got here yesterday. Haven't been able to try it out yet. Just too darn cold. Anyway... here is a pic of my home made bottle cutter and some of my progress.. As you can see, I'm getting plenty of practice. Art

Attached Files

• Attached File  001.JPG   199.51K   96 downloads

#7 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,564 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:18 AM

Attached File  001.JPG   199.51K   73 downloads

I broke down and ordered a wet tile saw and it got here yesterday. Haven't been able to try it out yet. Just too darn cold. Anyway... here is a pic of my home made bottle cutter and some of my progress.. As you can see, I'm getting plenty of practice. Art

Thats a pretty neat contraption. I like seeing tools folks have made themselves. Wish I had more time to do that. Have a few things in mind I would love to make, but not many. Have at least one or two or three of most everything you can find to work with, and I am out of room.

#8 DonnaC

DonnaC

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

Hi,
I've spent the past few days trying to cut all sorts of bottles, wine, beer, oil, I cant seem to get the technique right. To be honest I'm thinking of giving up. I've tried scoring, then hot water, cold water. Also tried scoring then holding over a candle. No mater what I try I'm getting cracks apear down the bottle. Any tips?

#9 Rebecca

Rebecca

Restaurateur

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

Thats a pretty neat contraption. I like seeing tools folks have made themselves. Wish I had more time to do that. Have a few things in mind I would love to make, but not many. Have at least one or two or three of most everything you can find to work with, and I am out of room.

I'm with you, Donna! I've tried everything with less than 50% success.

Rebecca

#10 DaleK

DaleK

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

I think I've tryed most methods too but finally gave up and took out my lapidary saw. Works great. I even made my husband a glass slide for his guitar out of the neck of the bottle.
Dale

#11 stargazer99

stargazer99

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

Hi,
I've spent the past few days trying to cut all sorts of bottles, wine, beer, oil, I cant seem to get the technique right. To be honest I'm thinking of giving up. I've tried scoring, then hot water, cold water. Also tried scoring then holding over a candle. No mater what I try I'm getting cracks apear down the bottle. Any tips?

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Lots of great people here with much working experience.
Can only tell you my procedure for cutting bottles which works well for me: first wash bottles real good, no labels or glue. I use some wd-40 and steel wool to remove stubborn glue. Score very lightly
making sure to end up where you start( no spirals). Helps to make a Sharpie mark both sides of score to see it better. Have an ice cube handy then rotate over a candle about 2 times (also put a sharpie mark where starting), do this very slowly high enough over the flame not to get soot on bottle. then quickly over some newspaper rub with ice cube around score. It sometimes it separates right there or sometimes need to repeat it. You should be able to see it start to run when over the candle. The wall thicknesses vary quite a bit, sometimes get a little blip, but grinds off nicely. Bought a wet tile saw, but too cold here to get all splashed up outside. Good luck, and don't give it up. Art

#12 Stacey

Stacey

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Stained Glass, All kinds of crafts and crafting, Encaustic Painting, Community Theatre, Reading.
    Beatle-maniac of the first rate. Harley's. Camping.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

I may be a little late for the discussion but I've got this bottle cutter that works very well. I picked mine up at the local stained glass store and of course paid a nice retail price for it. Price comparision with an online purchase it would've been comparable with shipping. In the end I was glad to support my local store.

The cutter is made here in the good old USofA. I've attached a link.

http://www.ephremsbottleworks.com/

I've used this cutter on wine bottles and beer bottles and it works great. I bet I've cut 50 bottles so far. I've had a few not turn out the best but most turn out great.

One concern is that the cutting wheel doesn't self-feed oil. I just use a dropper and add oil when I cut.

#13 stargazer99

stargazer99

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

I may be a little late for the discussion but I've got this bottle cutter that works very well. I picked mine up at the local stained glass store and of course paid a nice retail price for it. Price comparision with an online purchase it would've been comparable with shipping. In the end I was glad to support my local store.

The cutter is made here in the good old USofA. I've attached a link.

http://www.ephremsbottleworks.com/

I've used this cutter on wine bottles and beer bottles and it works great. I bet I've cut 50 bottles so far. I've had a few not turn out the best but most turn out great.

One concern is that the cutting wheel doesn't self-feed oil. I just use a dropper and add oil when I cut.

From everything I've read that is one of the best bottle cutters. I made one similar in principle and it works good. I'm assuming you use the candle and ice cube method? Works great for me. I made a bunch of glasses and cut a mess of rings for wind chimes. A great way to recycle bottles.
What part of MN? I used to go up there quite a bit years ago fishing.

#14 Rebecca

Rebecca

Restaurateur

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

I have Ephrem's. Still have trouble. I wish I knew what I'm missing!

Rebecca

#15 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,564 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

I have Ephrem's. Still have trouble. I wish I knew what I'm missing!

Rebecca

I guess I am old fashioned. I still use the old method, of a spinning carborundom water fed disc "cut off wheel." Not sure where they came up with the statement on that ad, that it does not produce clean breaks, but it produces clean "cuts" not "breaks." I may only do a bottle or jar half a dozen times a year, but hate trial and error. I want it done the first time, and go on to the next task. Oo..oO

#16 Rebecca

Rebecca

Restaurateur

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

I guess I am old fashioned. I still use the old method, of a spinning carborundom water fed disc "cut off wheel." Not sure where they came up with the statement on that ad, that it does not produce clean breaks, but it produces clean "cuts" not "breaks." I may only do a bottle or jar half a dozen times a year, but hate trial and error. I want it done the first time, and go on to the next task. Oo..oO

I have wondered if I could use the Dremmel.

Rebecca

#17 Stacey

Stacey

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Stained Glass, All kinds of crafts and crafting, Encaustic Painting, Community Theatre, Reading.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

When I cut bottles I do use the candle to heat the bottle but I don't use an ice cube to get it to break the score. I usually fill a tall container with water and ice cubes. Make sure the water level is over the score line. When the bottle is good and hot I plunge it into the ice water. With a nice sounding *Pop* it breaks apart. Easy peasy. Probably about 5 out 6 times it works like a charm.

If it doesn't break apart, sometimes I'll just tap it a bit against the side of the container or the sink. Just tap it like you would tap a piece of scored stained glass. If that doesn't do it, I re-heat it again and try plunging it again.

If it doesn't work the second time, depending on how much I want (or don't want) that particular bottle, I try a third time or just move on to the next bottle.

To clean the edges of the bottle I usually run one of those stone-thingies (That's the technical term..."thingie"!!) around the edge. Oo..oO The stone thingy start with a "C". I can never remember what it's called.

Hope that helps!

Stargazer99: I'm in central MN. Just east of Willmar and North of Hutchinson. We're 6 miles outside of an itty bitty town called Grove City.

#18 Stacey

Stacey

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

Oh. Duh. Boris wrote that he uses a "carborundom" wheel. I think that IS the technical term for the stone thingie that starts with a "C". LOL!

#19 Rebecca

Rebecca

Restaurateur

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

Stacey, I've tried the heat then ide water bath, too. I have tried everything everyone has mentioned anywhere on the internet and YouTube and I must just be bottle-cursed or something. I might get one out of ten to break.

Rebecca

#20 Stacey

Stacey

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

Stacey, I've tried the heat then ide water bath, too. I have tried everything everyone has mentioned anywhere on the internet and YouTube and I must just be bottle-cursed or something. I might get one out of ten to break.

Rebecca

Wow, really? You have the same cutter too? I don't understand it. Could you have a faulty cutter wheel? I'm thinking those wheels aren't of the finest quality.

How frustrating. I'm sure you have tried the usual tricks. The instructions with the cutter indicate that you should only heat it just so much. But I tend to get it plenty hot. Like putting the bottle right in the flame. Sometimes I'll even see and hear little bits of glass popping off. I've learned to put some newspaper under the candle to catch the bits of glass to minimize the mess.

Are you just doing wine bottles or have you tried other bottles? Like beer bottles. Those are thinnner...maybe if you were able to do a couple of those you could feel some success.

Man, I feel for you...nothing is more frustrating than wanting to really do something that is supposed to be easy and then not being able to figure it out. Been there, done that several times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users