• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Landlocked

Landlocked

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Tying flies, fishing, photography, Australian Shepherds, machine embroidery, stained glass. (And not necessarily in that order)

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

I just finished a panel with one small dichroic bevel in the middle and found out that the dichroic-ness doesn't stay on during the cementing process. Has anyone had the same experience with this happening? I'll know better next time to use tape or contact paper over the middle, I just wanted to know if the disappearing act is status quo for these types of bevels. I have a large (for me) number of them left that will be made into something else later. It also makes me wonder if any other finishing process will remove the center color from these. My glass people here haven't dealt with these bevels before so I come seeking knowledge from you good people.

#2 jackie

jackie

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:glass, books. nephew

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

I just finished a panel with one small dichroic bevel in the middle and found out that the dichroic-ness doesn't stay on during the cementing process. Has anyone had the same experience with this happening? I'll know better next time to use tape or contact paper over the middle, I just wanted to know if the disappearing act is status quo for these types of bevels. I have a large (for me) number of them left that will be made into something else later. It also makes me wonder if any other finishing process will remove the center color from these. My glass people here haven't dealt with these bevels before so I come seeking knowledge from you good people.

http://dichroicglassman.com/ this person does a lot with dichroic glass ask him. He might know

#3 Tod Beall

Tod Beall

Daily Mirror Owner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Mostly flat glass. I started with sg over 30 years ago. I also collect books about sg. Please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book.

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

I've put dichroic pieces in some leaded pieces and puttied/cemented them just fine. I do take care and mask off the dichro coated side. Same for any glass that I'm not sure about including all clear bevels.

That dichroic-guy uses plated bevels, I think, so harming the coating is not an issue. - T

PS: I suppose the cement and cleaning materials should be discussed here, too.

#4 Landlocked

Landlocked

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Tying flies, fishing, photography, Australian Shepherds, machine embroidery, stained glass. (And not necessarily in that order)

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

I used Inland Cement with a natural bristle brush for distribution. I've never had problems with this scratching or in any way harming any glass that I've cemented.
The dichroic bevel was purchased from Delphi and they didn't come with any cautionary statements. It almost looks as though the dichroic glass was glued on since there remains a "glue chip" texture to the center of the bevel. Tod, I don't know if this is the type of bevel you've used, maybe yours are of a better quality.
I'm sure gonna miss that little splash of color in the middle of my flower, but it's staying here at home so only I will know what it could've
been :(

#5 Rebecca

Rebecca

Restaurateur

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

Inland cement is not a good thing to use. It doesn't stay soft and it contains Portland cement. That might be why your bevel was scratched.

Rebecca

#6 Larry from BC

Larry from BC

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Art Deco & abstract projects, skiing at nearby Whitewater, funky music, new granddaughter

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

I used Inland Cement with a natural bristle brush for distribution. I've never had problems with this scratching or in any way harming any glass that I've cemented.
The dichroic bevel was purchased from Delphi and they didn't come with any cautionary statements. It almost looks as though the dichroic glass was glued on since there remains a "glue chip" texture to the center of the bevel. Tod, I don't know if this is the type of bevel you've used, maybe yours are of a better quality.
I'm sure gonna miss that little splash of color in the middle of my flower, but it's staying here at home so only I will know what it could've
been :(

Hi, as Tod indicated above, the Dichroic Glassman laminates his dichroic bevels and jewels and clearly states in his top notch videos that this is the prime reason for doing so. He also mentions that many others sold out there have a very thin fragile layer of dichroic coating. I am not sure how good his prices are since I have not ordered any yet but his are totally coated instead of just a small area in the middle or whatever.
Thought this might help to clarify things a bit.

#7 Landlocked

Landlocked

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

I went to the DichroicGlassman website and was really blown away by the colors! I really don't have the money to buy his how-to video and all the necessary accoutrement and I didn't see anywhere on the website where completed bevels and jewels could be purchased. Of course, maybe I wasn't looking in the correct area. I guess I'll use up my fragile ones, using more care in the future, and when those are gone hopefully the really cool ones will be more readily available to the hobbyist.

#8 Larry from BC

Larry from BC

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Art Deco & abstract projects, skiing at nearby Whitewater, funky music, new granddaughter

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:09 AM

I went to the DichroicGlassman website and was really blown away by the colors! I really don't have the money to buy his how-to video and all the necessary accoutrement and I didn't see anywhere on the website where completed bevels and jewels could be purchased. Of course, maybe I wasn't looking in the correct area. I guess I'll use up my fragile ones, using more care in the future, and when those are gone hopefully the really cool ones will be more readily available to the hobbyist.

I think he mostly sells on Etsy. he is also on facebook so contacting him that way might help.

#9 pelicanlady65

pelicanlady65

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Reading, crafts, motorcycling and traveling, wine tasting,shooting guns, counting things off my bucket list, stained glass.

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

He has a lot of his how to videos on utube also.

#10 lashleylynn

lashleylynn

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

We also make and use the same bevels/jewels that dichroglassman does. If interested, please contact us at lynnmill1967@gmail.com.....these are absoutely beautiful and we use these in our panels and projects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users