• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts
  • Interests:Orchids, gardening, badminton, drawing stained glass patterns, bird feeding, webmastering.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

I am asking that people not 'pin' images from my websites to Pinterest.

Pinterest’s Terms of Service agreement clearly states that by posting content to their site, you give them worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, transferable, royalty-free rights to sell, license, transmit, distribute, modify, adapt, and copy the work posted. While I'm flattered by the attention, unfortunately this attention does not result in greater traffic to my websites, since all graphics are available, FULL-SIZE, on Pinterest. The only way that I can offer FREE patterns is that visitors come to my website, not some third-party website.

Instead of making new patterns yesterday, I spend 6 hours filing copyright claims. It's very tedious. If I want to opt out I have to add a meta tag to every single one of my thousands of web pages, and 'pinners' will get the following message:

"This site doesn't allow pinning to Pinterest. Please contact the owner with any questions. Thanks for visiting!"

In other words, if I try to protect my work, Pinterest encourages visitors to send me irate messages. Not only that, but after people read that warning, they can 'pin' the images anyway! Worse, if Pinterest-clone websites arise, I'll have to re-code all my web pages for every one of them individually.

Not only do I get no traffic from all the Pinterest attention, but they add a code to the links that cancels out any benefit I could get from search engines for these links. There is no advantage for me, only loss of traffic, and loss of incentive to provide free content.

I'm humbly asking for your help and cooperation in protecting small content providers like myself against corporate giants.

#2 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts
  • Interests:Orchids, gardening, badminton, drawing stained glass patterns, bird feeding, webmastering.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

For more information on the Pinterest controversy:

Why I tearfully deleted my Pinterest Inspiration Boards

#3 Loonar Gifts

Loonar Gifts

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Stained Glass, Sewing, Crafting

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

After reading all the information, I too have closed down my pininterest account. Even though I first received permission from the artists before pinning any image, I have decided it just isn't worth the headache.

Life is too short to be entangled in any web.

Cheryl

#4 AmytheSparrow

AmytheSparrow

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:33 PM

That's terrible. I use Pinterest simply to save ideas in a way I can find them again later. It is not fair that Pinterest should then own that image. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this! On the bright side, I will go check out your free designs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users