4 replies to this topic

#1 Jan3161

Jan3161

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

If I wanted to put bevels around the outside of a project I'm working on do I still add a frame just like I would without the bevels?

#2 wendy lee

wendy lee

Real Estate Agent

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:geocaching,biking,stained glass

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

If I wanted to put bevels around the outside of a project I'm working on do I still add a frame just like I would without the bevels?

Yes.

#3 Sandyone

Sandyone

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

The trouble with putting a frame on bevels is that the frame covers a portion of the bevel it self. Our preference has always been to add 1/2" or so of a suitable colored glass outside of the bevels. Then, if the frame does some covering, it leaves the bevels completely visible. The outer edge of color also tends to enhance the effect of the bevels.

#4 DaleK

DaleK

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

Unless the bevels are large I do the same thing and add a small border around the outer edge.

#5 Tod Beall

Tod Beall

Daily Mirror Owner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Mostly flat glass. I started with sg over 30 years ago. I also collect books about sg. Please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

I agree with sandyone's suggestion. Another reason to do this is that bevels may not fit well into whatever framing you are planning to use.

Also, if the "frame" is deeper than the other leads, the bevel will appear lopsided. Yes, use lead; foiled bevels do not usually look good. IMHO - Tod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users