• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,770 posts
  • Interests:Orchids, gardening, badminton, drawing stained glass patterns, bird feeding, webmastering.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm very sad today, as I am making an announcement that pains me greatly. I have been cornered into making a decision against my own wishes by an unstoppable copyright-infringement steamroller called Pinterest. AKA Napster-for-Images.

It has been my pleasure and my privilege to share free patterns since 2003. The model whereby I derived a small income from advertisement, fueled by traffic has worked very well for me, to the extent that there was little need for me to sell the designs. I could have made a bit more money perhaps but making free content was, for some reason, a lot more fun for me. It was a pretty cool gig.

If you haven't heard of Pinterest, Pinterest is a site where users, with a button called the 'pinmarklet' scour the internet to grab images from websites like mine, and upload them to Pinterest's servers. There is a veritable army of 'pinners' that scrape contents to which they do not own the rights, for the ultimate benefit of Pinterest who is now bracing itself to monetize all this user-stolen content.

It takes me a couple of days to come up with a pattern but it takes a second for a 'pinner' to steal my content. The result is that nearly half my website is now on Pinterest, and people look at it there, rather than on my websites. This is because Pinterest grabs a full-size image, not a thumbnail, and there is no point seeing the image again on my sites once seen on Pinterest, is there? Compared to last year, I have lost 30% of my traffic. I can't keep up with DMCA take-downs (I have been serving them up daily for a month now, I have a huge Excel spreadsheet but I can't keep track anymore), images are being pinned and repinned faster than I can find them. They came up with an arrogant "no-pin" meta-tag that I would have to put on every single one of my web pages and there are hundreds - this tag pops up a message entreating 'pinners' to hassle me as to why I am denying them their self-given right to take my images. Still I have no choice and between copying and pasting the meta-tag on hundreds of static pages and the DMCA take-down notices I simply have no more time to create new patterns or work on any projects. My house is a mess and I hardly sleep more than 6 hours a night. But even with this stupid meta-tag, people CAN still pin (they only get a warning) and besides they 'pin' from Google Images and when they do that it's very difficult for me to track down my material.

I'm being told that this is the way of the future, and that I am to expect that others will profit from the content that I was so happy directly sharing with my visitors. This is, apparently, inevitable, and I have to roll with it or die. While I have hired legal counsel, at best Pinterest will continue to operate for a decade before it is shut down. The wheels of Justice move slowly.

So from now on, all the new patterns will be for sale, and only small thumbnails will be shown on the web pages. I was toying with the idea of making a last page of free heart patterns, 'cuz I love you all and I want to thank you for all these great years of support - but then that will end up filling up the coffers of Pinterest's Ben Silbermann like everything else. His coffers, and that of every webmaster out there (and they are legion) that want to put a pinterest-clone online. I can barely keep track of Pinterest, how will I keep track of the clones? I have lost all hope.

Should I be grateful for the publicity? The problem with Pinterest is that it is not driving any traffic to my websites, it is robbing me of my traffic.

It's ironic how 'pinners' who want to celebrate beauty, creativity, craftiness, self-publishing, and SHARING... are actually killing it. That's what happens when the definition of 'sharing' is twisted to mean sharing things that belong to other people. These other people start to lock things up in safes. You can't put anything on the internet anymore - it's going to get sucked up by the great vampire of copyright infringement, for strangers to profit from.

:heartbeat:

It's a sad, sad day.

In a cruel twist of irony, I'm pinning this thread on the forum.

#2 wendy lee

wendy lee

Real Estate Agent

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:geocaching,biking,stained glass

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

That is so sad Chantal..

I understand your reasonings. I have no idea how websites work/traffic/income but I truly appreciated all the patterns you shared with us. I have noticed that the traffic you had 3 years ago has slowed to a trickle as more and more facebook forums popped up. I wish it was busier here. Do you have a facebook page that links back to here?

Thank you for giving me a place to go, and a place to learn. You and others have helped me so much.

Hugs.

Wendy.

#3 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,770 posts
  • Interests:Orchids, gardening, badminton, drawing stained glass patterns, bird feeding, webmastering.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

Facebook has sucked a lot of the life of forums everywhere, and I don't think the trend is reversible, but I'm not complaining because Facebook did it fair and square, and especially LEGALLY. I go with the flow on this one.

Pinterest is another matter. What they are doing hasn't been done before, not because no one thought of it before, but because they stopped themselves from implementing something so unfair and illegal. Ben Silbermann, however, had no such scruples.

I visit photographer & webmaster forums. On photographer forums, photographers are realizing that they can't put anything up on the internet anymore. Webmaster forums are rife with people scrambling to program Pinterest clones, or to spam the existing ones to make a buck.

Just like Facebook has altered the forum landscape, like music-share has brought music to its knees, the widespread infringement of image copyrights spells the end of image publishing on the internet.

#4 sheila

sheila

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

This is so sad. I hope all these people are happy that they will be shutting down a lot of sites.I loved your patterns and want to thank you. THANK YOU

#5 Marilyn

Marilyn

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

It is a very sad day! Your patterns are always so unique. Your free ones always brightened my day. Thank you for your past generosity. It was so very much appreciated.
Marilyn
Kansas

#6 Sandyone

Sandyone

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

How to make a fortune: discover a loophole and exploit it at the expense of others. I'm no expert, but they seem to have found a way to screw everybody and avoid any liability for the damage that might ensue.

#7 stargazer99

stargazer99

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:Retired tool and die maker. Decorative ironwork, German Shepherds, precision machining, stained glass

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

I agree... a sad day. I've spent many evenings browesing thru your free patterns and building a some. I really appreciate you spending your time and effort promoting the art of stained glass. It seems to be sign of the times. We see it everywhere these days. Politics, insurance companys, sales,etc. A total lack of integrity. The attitude seems to be, just take everything you can and
the heck with anyone else. We all have to live together on this planet. We should respect each other's work and space. I've never been much with the facebook thing, so think I'll pass on that.
I've learnt a great deal on this forum. I thank everyone who has taken the time to answer my questions. Thanks, Art

#8 Carrie

Carrie

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

This is truly a very sad day. I just want to say a huge "thank you" for all that you have put out there. I will continue to visit your site and purchase your patterns. Again, thank you Chantel.

#9 MARGARET

MARGARET

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Chantal - it is indeed a sad day! Thank you so much for freely giving of your expertise and creativity. The very first project I did dealing with curves was your Happy Dippy. Best Wishes! Margaret.

#10 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

Pretty common organization, but thats what it has come to, when everyone wants to make a fast buck and not have to work for it. Its a shame that the same kind of tactics can not be used on them, to shut them down. People that have no integrity or or decency do not deserve to be shown any. Like common thieves, they deserve to get anything anyone can do to them. If there is anything we can do, just let us know.

#11 Audrey

Audrey

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Stained Glass, cooking, archery

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

Chantal, I appreciate all the patterns you have shared. I love them and will miss them, but I understand you have no other choice in this day and age. I am willing to pay for what I want.

#12 JoanFrances

JoanFrances

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

I am soooo sorry Chantel. I remember the day I found your pattern sites. My MS had side lined me from doing as much glass as I wanted to, but designing my own patterns gave me an opportunity and outlet for my creative side. I contacted you, and you sweetly encouraged me to keep drawing (at that time I had not heard of "Glasseye" for doing patterns).

I signed on to this new site you are speaking about and found it way to time consuming just to scroll through pape after page of pictures not only annoyed my but made me wonder what was behind the entire concept. I feared that there was a huge chance of being hacked or worse because of the high traffic on the site. I haven't been back since.

It is really a sad trend we find ourselves in today. It seems no one cares what they are doing as long as they can make a buck at it, and they can get people to go a long to get a long. The way things are going the web will be the only way to get any info at all, the printed or written word will no longer be available and we will all be exposed to being publicly undressed by unknown intruders and these hidden thieves will pocket countless $$$$$$$$$$$ while raping us.

#13 GAIA

GAIA

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Rock music. ZB Custom pedal steel, virtual synths,Yamaha electronic drum kit, guitar playing. Growing veganic, organic vegetables, wild life, helping out at the animal sanctuary, running.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

Is really bad news Chantal, very sad, but thank you for sharing your patterns.
I 100% agree with Boris,
" People that have no integrity or decency do not deserve to be shown any. Like common thieves, they deserve to get anything anyone can do to them. If there is anything we can do, just let us know. "
What a world, seem to be so many of these types around.
Then again, there are some genuine nice people too, uum.

#14 Mary Jane

Mary Jane

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, crochet,baking

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Chantal it is a sad day. I have enjoyed using your patterns and contributing mine. What a shame that it has been taken away.

#15 ct4mom

ct4mom

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

It certainly is a sad day. I have enjoyed and used many of your patterns over the years. Thank you Chantell and I understand your decision.

#16 jackie

jackie

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:glass, books. nephew

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

Chantal it is a sad day. I have enjoyed using your patterns and contributing mine. What a shame that it has been taken away.

chantel, you have started a revolution with your war with Pinerest. The forun Artisans of Glass are now giving up there subscriptions that they have there I thought you would like to know that other sites care what happens

http://artisansofgla...icseen#msg54961

read what they have to say and their agreement with you

#17 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:04 AM

Huzzah! Five weeks of chaining myself to the computer, and I have removed pretty much all the images I can be expected to find.

Over 4000 images.

The rest, images from Google Image searches filed in nondescript folders titled "Think I like" - I'll never find those.

I'm finally free to do other things, and keeping up with the new infringement shouldn't siphon more than half a hour per day. This sounds like a bargain to me after the 12 hour days, and no weekends...

Going to sleep now!

#18 Marilyn

Marilyn

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

Sleep soundly! Enjoy!

#19 WackyPup

WackyPup

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

Hi Chantal,

I have truly enjoyed your patterns, and I will miss them. I've only made one, (the adorable playing card box) but I have drooled over a lot of them :) You really have a flair for beautiful design. Concerning your website, I wanted to let you know about a great free notepad program that will make quick work of a lot of the editing of your html pages. It's notetab, it's free, and you can load up literally a hundred pages of html and search/replace them in a matter of seconds. For instance, I use it to add things to the "head" section by replacing the end tag with the new code + the end tag. I'm sure you're already finished repairing your sites but when the next thing pops up, this might make your task a bit less arduous. The website is http://www.notetab.com/ If you want to use it, feel free to ask me any questions, I've been using it for years.

I was unaware of the implications of pinning. I haven't ever bothered to join, and now I won't - but I thought that the images linked back to their original page. That would be better.

Liz
aka Wacky Pup
http://www.WackyPup.com

They came up with an arrogant "no-pin" meta-tag that I would have to put on every single one of my web pages and there are hundreds - this tag pops up a message entreating 'pinners' to hassle me as to why I am denying them their self-given right to take my images. Still I have no choice and between copying and pasting the meta-tag on hundreds of static pages and the DMCA take-down notices I simply have no more time to create new patterns or work on any projects.

In a cruel twist of irony, I'm pinning this thread on the forum.

#20 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

Thanks for the tip, Notetab looks both simple and just what I need. I do have a lot more to do! You're an angel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users