Linda

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Stained Glass! :)

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has tried the gel grinder bits and what your opinion is of them.

Thanks in advance for all of your comments.

Linda

#2 glasslass

glasslass

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:18 AM

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has tried the gel grinder bits and what your opinion is of them.

Thanks in advance for all of your comments.

Linda

I have used the standard and fine ones for a few years. I especially like the fine grit. Caution however, if you over tighten the head the gel will crack.

#3 Linda

Linda

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Stained Glass! :)

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

I have used the standard and fine ones for a few years. I especially like the fine grit. Caution however, if you over tighten the head the gel will crack.

Thanks for your input. I think I am going to try them. If anyone else has tried them I would love to hear if you found them any better or worse than the metal ones.

#4 jms

jms

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

Once I started using them I stopped using metal bits.  The gel bits produce far fewer edge chips in the glass than the metal bits.  Probably because the plastic is acting as a shock absorber.   I use the red, green and blue bits.  Red for aggressive removal, green for ordinary things.  Yellow is similar to green and I don't find myself using it.  Blue is in a category by itself.  It grinds very slowly but leaves a near-perfect edge.  The gel bits seem to last for a very long time, and are far cheaper than the metal bits.  I consider them superior in every respect.

#5 GeoffreyJ

GeoffreyJ

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:39 AM

Hello Linda:
I have not been as happy with the gel bits as others here are. I found that the plastic composite is rather sticky and if Im not careful and the glass I am grinding touches the plastic, it will rip the glass from my hands and shoot it across the table. I also found that the gel bits crack easily if the set screw is over-tightened. One of my gel bits grinding surface came unbonded to the plastic composite and completely slipped off rendering the bit useless. So Ive returned to using the the full metal jacketed , old school grinding bits made of brass.lMHO, the gel-bits seem to need another round of design engineering.

Geoff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users