#1 dubie

dubie

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Family, Stained Glass, Golf, Fishing, Motorcycles

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

I've been having trouble with keeping the foil on the glass after tinning. I keep thinking that I'm not getting enough solder on the edge pieces. is the goal to get enough solder on the foil so it will form a sort of hard border around the entire project? Or should it be just enough to cover the foil?
I've made several doves for tree ornaments and they all seem to have this issue. I found wrapping them with a u shaped lead solves the problem, but, i would rather leave the foil around them.
Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Dubie

#2 jonesthefarmer

jonesthefarmer

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

Dubie, you are correct, you need to build the edge solder around your dove. Hold the edge horizontally, pick up your solder and pat around the edge. It looks much nicer than a thin tinned edge, and it will give your finished piece more strength. If your piece is just small, this should suffice, however if it is a larger piece, it would help to incorporate a strand of thin copper wire around the finished edge bead.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Julie

#3 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

I've been having trouble with keeping the foil on the glass after tinning. I keep thinking that I'm not getting enough solder on the edge pieces. is the goal to get enough solder on the foil so it will form a sort of hard border around the entire project? Or should it be just enough to cover the foil?
I've made several doves for tree ornaments and they all seem to have this issue. I found wrapping them with a u shaped lead solves the problem, but, i would rather leave the foil around them.
Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Dubie

Foil and solder are actually a little light for an edging unless its a very, very, small ornament. Also building up thick solder on an edge is not all that easy to do. Your better off using a lead U channel, as you mentioned, or running a copper wire, or flat copper strip around the entire edge and then solder in place. One has to remember that foil was intended to be used as a base for solder to stick to, so glass could be joined. Its not a structural component. Even in a Tiffany shade, the edges always have wire soldered onto the edge of the shades, and are not just foil and solder.

#4 Betsy

Betsy

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Stained glass, quilting, feeding backyard birds, sewing, fishing, walking, playing

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

Whether you do a good job or not with tinning and beading the edge of your project, if you are having trouble with it staying on, you are most likely not getting the foil on tightly. Make sure your glass pieces are very clean and free of all cutting oil, flux, etc. Burnish well. Some people even set their cut pieces in rubbing alcohol for a few seconds, or rub the edges with alcohol. I haven't found this necessary, as I like to lightly grind all the edges of my cut pieces and the water from the grinder cleans them. In regards to edging, sometimes it's more of a hassel to encircle the outside edge with wire than just to use U lead. It goes so quick and not as as much a challenge. Good luck.

#5 Stephen Richard

Stephen Richard

Real Estate Agent

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Interests:Leaded and stained glass, kiln forming, sandblasting, acid etching, restoration

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:24 AM

The glue from copperfoil does not stand up well to heat, so it is common for it to lift on the edges. I burnish it back down and then do the beading after the tinning of the edges. As the adhesive on foil is an "impact" sort, it sticks best to cleanly cut (not ground) edges.

#6 Sandyone

Sandyone

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

The glue from copperfoil does not stand up well to heat, so it is common for it to lift on the edges. I burnish it back down and then do the beading after the tinning of the edges. As the adhesive on foil is an "impact" sort, it sticks best to cleanly cut (not ground) edges.

Unbeaded edges are unfinished work. Edges beaded up look far batter, and won't lift off.

#7 dubie

dubie

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Family, Stained Glass, Golf, Fishing, Motorcycles

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

Hi Julie,
Thanks for the reply! I have made several lamp shades and used the copper wire on the edges of them. I dont know why I didnt think of applying wire to these ornaments? That did the trick, they are holding up much better now.
Thanks,
Dubie

#8 jonesthefarmer

jonesthefarmer

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

Hi Julie,
Thanks for the reply! I have made several lamp shades and used the copper wire on the edges of them. I dont know why I didnt think of applying wire to these ornaments? That did the trick, they are holding up much better now.
Thanks,
Dubie

Hi Dubie, glad you have the issue sorted.

Regards, Julie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users