9 replies to this topic

#1 Rhonda

Rhonda

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

I have read many tips on black patina on zinc came. It never seems work just right. I would like help from someone that gets a nice black and smooth color on zinc. I also read to use the patina for zinc on the solder too. I am just not happy with my results.

#2 Rebecca

Rebecca

Chocolatier

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

I use the patina for solder on the zinc.  I clean the zinc with acetone first.  Then wipe on a thin layer of patina.  Wipe, don't scrub.  Don't let it puddle.  If it puddles, use a paper towel to soak up the extra - DO NOT wipe it with the paper towel, just let the edge of the paper towel touch the puddle and soak up the excess.  Let the patina dry on the zinc.  Then wash and neutralize.  The zinc will look sort of white.  Wax it well with Clarity or a car wax with carnuba.

Rebecca

#3 Ron44

Ron44

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Stained glass, warm glass fusing, slumping, draping

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

I use the zinc patina on zinc framing and it seems to work quite well for me. First I use a 0000 steel wool on the zinc to clean it completely. This is a very important step. I go over it until it really shines and then wipe with a detailing towel or bath towel type cloth. Next I brush on an even coat of patina (brushing in one direction only) until it begins to turn black. I continue brushing until the darkness I desire is visible and then I let it dry. After drying I wipe again with the towels and if it is not to my liking I add more patina (without the steel wool cleaning of course). When it is where I want it I put a coat of carnuba wax on it and buff. I hope it works for you.

#4 Ayoakum

Ayoakum

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I also have trouble with my zinc frames - they don't have an even black tone.  I have used fine steel wool but maybe I didn't scrub it enough.  Also - my black patina solder is a very dull black - any suggestions on how to get a high gloss?

#5 Chantal

Chantal

Prophet

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,770 posts
  • Interests:Orchids, gardening, badminton, drawing stained glass patterns, bird feeding, webmastering.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

My solution is to avoid putting patina on the zinc altogether!  Shame on me.

#6 stargazer99

stargazer99

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:Retired tool and die maker. Decorative ironwork, German Shepherds, precision machining, stained glass

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

I also have trouble with my zinc frames - they don't have an even black tone.  I have used fine steel wool but maybe I didn't scrub it enough.  Also - my black patina solder is a very dull black - any suggestions on how to get a high gloss?

It really won't shine up until you wax it.

#7 Sandyone

Sandyone

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

I have read many tips on black patina on zinc came. It never seems work just right. I would like help from someone that gets a nice black and smooth color on zinc. I also read to use the patina for zinc on the solder too. I am just not happy with my results.

With foiled projects, we tin zinc frames, so the patina looks exactly the same on the frame or on the solder lines. We do the same with leaded projects, but we don't expect the frame to look like the lead.

#8 Rhonda

Rhonda

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

This leads me to another question, what do you use for framing? I like wood framing, if not hanging in a window. Comments please.

#9 Ron44

Ron44

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Stained glass, warm glass fusing, slumping, draping

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

I use wood at times and oak is my go to wood of choice. You say when not hanging in windows......I feel that the light of the window gives the stained glass the look that most people want. Where else would you hang it? Just curious. In my gallery I have uploaded a stained glass sunflower framed in oak.

#10 stargazer99

stargazer99

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:Retired tool and die maker. Decorative ironwork, German Shepherds, precision machining, stained glass

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

What I like to use on zinc frames is a product called Birchwood Casey Plum Brown Barrel Finish. 

It's used to restore the finish on antique firearms,  I go over the frames with fine steel wool, then clean,

making sure I remove any steel wool particles.  I then wipe with some acetone and dry.  I warm up the frames a

little with a propane torch making sure not to get the glass too hot.  Then use a cotton ball in a pinch

type clothes pin to wipe it on.  You can just open the clothespin over the waste basket instead of getting

all over your hands.  A couple coats will get you a deep brown almost black color.  I then wash and wax.

You can get it on ebay or most gun shops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users