8 replies to this topic

#1 beveller

beveller

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

Watching the the how to videos on using the CM.  They make it look so easy!  It says that you use not pressure at all.  When I push mine across the glass it doesn't score it, however if I push it down and the cutter goes up into the handle it makes very nice cuts.  Am I doing something wrong?  Is there an adjustment?  For me, the pressure needed is the same as with a pistol grip.  Help?

Bev

#2 stargazer99

stargazer99

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Retired tool and die maker. Decorative ironwork, German Shepherds, precision machining, stained glass

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

You still need to put the pressure to it like you are doing. A lot of people like them.<br />I bought one and wasn't pleased with it and sold it. I'd rather just do things the 'old fashioned' way.

#3 beveller

beveller

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

Soooo...............what's the hype?  Why do so many people rave about it?  Are the videos showing someone pushing this thing along with two fingers false?  I don't get it. 

Bev

#4 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

If your handle is weighted, it should put enough pressure on the glass to score it.  I don't use one, but have seen them used, and the weighted handle did push down on the glass.

#5 MARGARET

MARGARET

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:35 PM

I use the basic cutter's mate with success.  I grasp the handle with my whole hand, with just a firm hold, no heavy pressure.  I don't have any of the attachments, so can't speak about them.  Margaret.

#6 Rebecca

Rebecca

Restaurateur

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

The Cutters' Mate has a spring.  You put just enough pressure on it to compress the spring.  One reason that it cuts so well for some people is that they are putting TOO MUCH pressure with a regular cutter.  When they use a Cutters' Mate and put the correct amount of pressure on it, the score is so much better.  Another reason that it cuts so much better for some people is that it keeps the cutter at a 90 degree angle to the glass.  If you are cutting with a regular cutter and hold it at an angle to the glass, the score will not run as well.  I have had students who have a terrible time cutting unless they use the Cutters' Mate.  I can go either way but I can see how it can help me as my arthritis gets worse.

Rebecca  

#7 kimpfrey

kimpfrey

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:all arts, crafting, building, dyeing. I am a kidney transplant social worker by day. I am an advocate for LGBT and HIV.

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:37 PM

How does the spring relate to the weight of the handle/cutting wheel?

#8 Rebecca

Rebecca

Restaurateur

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

I'm not sure what you are asking.  The Cutters' Mate is weighted and when the spring is just depressed it is a good pressure for most glass.  If you have problems with your hands, you can grip the padded cutter in your fist and depress the spring, then guide it where you want to cut.  You don't have to use aching fingers to grip like you do with ordinary cutters.

Rebecca

#9 donda57

donda57

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:09 PM

I still get flares and can't seem to get the weighted handle at the exact angle to cut correctly. I can cut but not well. There are no trouble shooting videos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users