• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Mazanec

Tom Mazanec

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Science, technology and science fiction. Furry subculture.

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:00 PM

While practicing, I fell off a piece a little hard by accident, and I think I broke my cutter. It is leaking, and the head turns around slightly (I don't know if this is normal, I never tried turning it before).

I am beginning to wonder if this is the hobby for me.

#2 Tom Mazanec

Tom Mazanec

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:46 PM

Addendum:

I called Delphi Glass, and they said that the cutter will work fine without oil. Plausible, since the people at the Glass Class didn't even know how to put oil in the cutter, IIRC. I will continue to practice cutting with it, since if it is ruined anyway that makes no difference, and the glass is scrap anyway.

#3 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:40 PM

Addendum:

I called Delphi Glass, and they said that the cutter will work fine without oil. Plausible, since the people at the Glass Class didn't even know how to put oil in the cutter, IIRC. I will continue to practice cutting with it, since if it is ruined anyway that makes no difference, and the glass is scrap anyway.

The heads swivel on my cutters.   Some folks tighten them, but I don't. 

Not many folks put oil in cutters anymore, I don't.  I keep some light oil in a small stainless cup, with a sponge in the bottom, and just touch my cutter to it when cutting. Most cutting even without oil.

If your going to add oil to the cutter, only add a few drops. They all leak, sooner or later.

#4 Rebecca

Rebecca

Restaurateur

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:04 PM

I always put oil in my cutters and have never had a problem.  The important thing is NOT to fill it all the way.  That puts too much hydraulic pressure on the head and it will leak.  I just put enough to cover the hole that it goes to the head.  So the oil just covers the bottom of the reservoir.  And then, leave the cover loose so the oil can flow out without causing a vacuum in the reservoir.  And one more thing, store your cutter upright, with the head own.  If you leave it laying on its side, it will leak.  Try these things and see if it is still leaking.  That will tell you whether it is damaged.

I agree with Boris that the head on most of today's cutters is supposed to swivel, so that probably doesn't mean that it is damaged.  And you can always "dip" if you want.

I have never bought into the theory that running off the edge of the glass will damage a cutter.  As a matter of fact, I ALWAYS run off the edge of the glass.  It probably is a bad habit to have, but one that I learned early and never un-learned.

Rebecca

#5 Tod Beall

Tod Beall

Daily Mirror Owner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Mostly flat glass. I started with sg over 30 years ago. I also collect books about sg. Please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book.

Posted 20 June 2015 - 09:33 AM

I, too run off the edge in many situations. No big deal. The bench is plywood - nearly impossible to damage the wheel.

Brush off the bench frequently, often and lots!

I dip - sometimes.

I easily get a decent year from a basic $10 Fletcher with a small, carbide wheel.

My cutter compulsions / recommendations are maintenance habits: I constantly make sure the wheel turns easily and I store the cutter in its box or a jar with oily cloth in the bottom. Protect the wheel!!! If it gets nicked or the axel becomes loose and the wheel wobbles, you won't get the cut you expect.

Don't hesitate to test the cutter on some scrap clear glass. Look at the scratch. Are there skips? Does the line get a bit wide in places? Time to replace the cutter.

#6 Tom Mazanec

Tom Mazanec

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:36 AM

Line looks fine to me (considering that it is about like a hair or a spider thread and hard to see).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users