• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AussieBilly

AussieBilly

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:cutting, foiling and soldering glass, fine wine, Sunday Market selling bits and pieces, wine, lovely ladies you like fine wine, the beauty of art glass, pretty good wine and patterns that excite me.

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:42 AM

Does your roll of copper foil come unspooled as you work? Does this upset you as much as it does me? Or at least it did until one day I got smart. Okay, so it took more than one day for smartness to hit me. But I'm old.

Thinking about it as I patiently rewound the lovely ribbon, I decided to see how others solved the problem. Easy, I found... merely purchase a foil dispenser. About $15 on Amazon, more or less elsewhere. But then I read someone's idea of using a can of beans, well that someone used beans, but when I tried it all I had was chopped tomatoes. Didn't matter, it worked!

Put the can in the center of the foil spool and let it unwind. Wonderful. Saved me $15, the price of another sheet of glass.

But then the day came when I didn't have a can of tomatoes, or beans or anything that would fit. What to do? What to do?

Well, that's when the smartness rose up and yelled for attention. Simple... use the coil of solder.

Yup... I'll add a photo to show my solution. Just bend the end of the solder down and across and let it control the foil as you gently pull the strip off.

Attached File  50%.jpg   197.27K   24 downloads   Darn, pretty small ain't it. Well, look close and use your own smartness.

That was easy... saved you some money... made me feel useful.

#2 Tod Beall

Tod Beall

Daily Mirror Owner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Mostly flat glass. I started with sg over 30 years ago. I also collect books about sg. Please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book.

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:43 AM

Great help, Billy!

#3 Rebecca

Rebecca

Restaurateur

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:33 AM

Genius!

Rebecca

#4 annabelle

annabelle

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:25 PM

How cool is that????

#5 MarbleOddityGlass

MarbleOddityGlass

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Cast glass, stained glass, hiking my 3 dogs, sailing our sailboat, live bluegrass music, playing octave mandolin

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:45 PM

great idea! Here's another that works for me...
I fold a twist tie or two from the centre to the edge and back around. Keeps everything spooled up nicely and is easily adjustable as you use up the foil. It even fits into the foil dispenser!

#6 Tod Beall

Tod Beall

Daily Mirror Owner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Mostly flat glass. I started with sg over 30 years ago. I also collect books about sg. Please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book.

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:43 PM

I love my foil dispensers!

#7 MarbleOddityGlass

MarbleOddityGlass

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Cast glass, stained glass, hiking my 3 dogs, sailing our sailboat, live bluegrass music, playing octave mandolin

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:38 AM

Me too, I have so many different widths and backing colors that I had to buy a second one. I used a sharpie to label the front of each slot so at a glance I can tell which roll is which.

#8 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:44 PM

I just use multiple Glastar Foilers. Each has different sizes, and it keeps it rolled. If I need just a piece, for doing a piece by hand, I just pull it off.

#9 stargazer99

stargazer99

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Retired tool and die maker. Decorative ironwork, German Shepherds, precision machining, stained glass

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:33 PM

I like the Digel foiler and sometimes I also just foil off of the coil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users