3 replies to this topic

#1 ESA1178

ESA1178

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:44 PM

I have a stained glass panel that is wedged pretty good into a wooden window frame.

Is there a way to soften the surrounding lead, without attacking the paint/wood ?

That way I am sure it would be easier to remove from the window frame without cracking the glass....

Thanks!

Mark

#2 Tod Beall

Tod Beall

Daily Mirror Owner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Mostly flat glass. I started with sg over 30 years ago. I also collect books about sg. Please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book.

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

Questions:

How sturdy does it seem right now?

Is it old? Is it leaded - or foiled? Is it a "real" window sash or a frame made to display the glass?

How much exploring have you done so far? Does it have a putty bevel or wood stops/trim around the edges?

Any idea where it came from?

#3 ESA1178

ESA1178

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:24 PM

Hi Tod...

Quite sturdy. Managed to get one piece out. But the other one is quite jammed in. The panels are standalones with lead surround.

Not attached to the window opening at all....

I had to 'damage' some of the border in order to get the first panel out. But that doesn't matter since I will be framing them later down the road..

The panels are from the mid 60's...

The original owner of the house made them...

Here are a couple of pics:

Mark

http://i260.photobuc...zpspyeizt7w.jpg

http://i260.photobuc...zpsd8x4ms5t.jpg

#4 Rebecca

Rebecca

Restaurateur

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:10 PM

We are missing an important piece of information - how are the stained glass panels held in the frame?  Tod asked, "Does it have a putty bevel or wood stops/trim around the edges?"  Usually a stained glass panel or window is held into a frame by a putty bevel or wood stops.  Usually one can remove the glass from the wood frame by removing the putty, glazing points and/or wood stops.  Occasionally you run into a wooden frame that was routed out and then fastened together with the glass in the routed slot.  Often these frames have screws (sometimes hidden by wooden buttons) that can be removed to take the frame apart and remove the glass without harming the frame or the glass.  To answer your original question; the lead is not softened to remove the glass. 

Rebecca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users