7 replies to this topic

#1 milebyro

milebyro

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:37 PM

I am looking into the feasibility of using a "personal cutting machine" to cut out stained glass patterns. They are like a plotter only they have cutting blades that will cut a variety of material/media. Some Brand names are Cricut, Brother, and Silhouette. Has anyone tried to cut patterns with a cutting machine?  If so which machine?  Also, I am curious if the machines will import and work with files from Glass Eye 2000 or Rapid Resizer.  Keep in mind I am only looking for a cutter for the patterns not to score the glass.

#2 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:47 PM

I bought a CriCut Machine to do lettering stencils with, but not used it yet. The only thing I didn't like about this brand was that it appeared you have to go to their site to create a project, or buy from a whole list of cartridges that aren't real cheap.  You used to be able to buy a program that you could use to create your own projects and import files, but the Company was sued by CriCut and had to stop selling it to work on their machines. The CriCut changed the firmware I their machines that would not allow you to use that program if you already had it. If you had an older machine, and an earlier firmware version, once you went on Internet to their site, they would automatically replace the firmware in your machine, without asking you, so you could not use the program again. I have the program on my computer but had to block it from doing any outside communication through Internet. There is a lot of information out there on these machines.

#3 Ken48442

Ken48442

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:47 PM

My wife and I have the Silhouette, Cameo I believe. We just got it around Christmas and are still in the learning phase with it. We have used it for two projects already and so far happy with the results. Both projects were imported from Glass Eye 2000. It took some trial and error both times. When we figured out how to do everything the first time we thought it was so simple we didn't write down how we did it. After messing around for 3 hours the second time I wrote down step by step instructions on how to send the project from Glass Eye to Silhouette and cut the pattern. If you get a silhouette and can't figure it out let me know and I will send you the instructions I made.

#4 Michael

Michael

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:38 AM

I have a graphtec cutter that I use to draw patterns and also cut my pattern out of vinyl. That way I just put the vinyl on the glass and cut the glass. Once its cut and ground just peel it off. Not sure about importing from glasseye, I draw mine in Coreldraw.

#5 lmperry

lmperry

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

The newer cricut machines don't require the cartridges so you can design anything. I am going to try to cut out vinyl and attach that to the glass like the other poster, this seems like a great idea.

#6 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:05 AM

The newer cricut machines don't require the cartridges so you can design anything. I am going to try to cut out vinyl and attach that to the glass like the other poster, this seems like a great idea.

Mot sure if thats correct.  The Cricut will not work without a cartridge, from what I have seen. You used to be able to buy software that would allow it to work with your computer without going through their "Design Studio" which you had to pay to use, but Cricut sued the software Companies and won, so they had to stop making it. Cricut also changed their operating system in the machine firmware, so it won't use the programs, and if you had an older machine that would, Cricuts website would automatically update your firmware so you could n longer use it, if you visited their site. You pay to play with Cricut, unless you happened to have an older machine with older firmware, at least one cartridge, required to make the third party older version of the software to work, and you keep the machine hooked to a computer with NO Interent access, so your firmware can not be changed without you knowing it. 

#7 Bean

Bean

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:02 PM

My wife and I have the Silhouette, Cameo I believe. We just got it around Christmas and are still in the learning phase with it. We have used it for two projects already and so far happy with the results. Both projects were imported from Glass Eye 2000. It took some trial and error both times. When we figured out how to do everything the first time we thought it was so simple we didn't write down how we did it. After messing around for 3 hours the second time I wrote down step by step instructions on how to send the project from Glass Eye to Silhouette and cut the pattern. If you get a silhouette and can't figure it out let me know and I will send you the instructions I made.

PLEASE send me some instructions if you still have them, for what you figured out to integrate Glass Eye and Silhouette Cameo. Wonderful! 

#8 sbhoward

sbhoward

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:56 PM

I have both a Cricut and a Silhouette Cameo.   I don't like the cricut because it requires a constant internet connection to function, and when you design with their software you can never download it, it stays on their server.  The cricut no longer requires cartridges and in fact, they are closing them out.  If you already own cartridges, you can load them and add them to their design space and still use the designs.  I have my Cricut Explore Air 2 for sale because of these shortcomings.

The silhouette works online or offline as you choose.  It has in my opinion much better and more powerful software.

Yes, they will work for cutting patterns, as long as you can fit the pattern in a 12" x whatever length drawing.  I believe 10 ft or longer is the limit.  I have used it several times, and with Oracal 631 vinyl it peels right off the glass.  Of course you could also cut out cardstock and glue also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users