7 replies to this topic

#1 Michael

Michael

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:52 PM

This is my first foil project, will these pieces work or should I redo them?

UlJsoawl.jpg

#2 DogsforDen

DogsforDen

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Love to work with glass, also own a Garden Center. I have four dogs thus the nickname, I have owned a stained glass business for 5 years now.

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:47 PM

Hi Michael,

All the pieces will work but your solder lines will be uneven, especially on the pink one.  I would re-do the pink one and try and pull the foil over  B25 near the corner.  If you can't I would probably re-do that one also.  Make sure your foil is stuck to the glass.  Take your fingers and run them over the foil going in the direction off the glass, away from the center of the glass.  If your finger snags the foil then it isn't secure and could come off when soldering.  I use a roller to smooth and really secure the foil to the glass.  Great start for a first piece.

#3 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:20 AM

It looks like the foil is torn on the upper left piece.  You can repair by removing the torn piece from the flat surface & over laying the area with another piece of foil centering it on the edge just as if there was no foil there, or you could remove all the foil & start over.

As mentioned, good start. Remember solder lines will not be the same width due to variances in glass thickness & gaps between the pieces.  Don't try for perfection, just focus on completing the project, learning the steps involved, & having fun doing it.

Looking forward to seeing further progress as you go.  Please keep us posted!

42038d1396635757-recent-current-situatio

#4 annabelle

annabelle

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:53 AM

I agree with all of the above....On the pink piece, you can just place another piece of foil over your mistake, and burnish really well, as long as it is not a piece that will be on the outside edge of an unframed piece, like a suncatcher...Same goes for the other pieces that seem to have small "gaps" in the foil line....Your solder will "follow the foil", so any gap or "stickie outie"  (that is a technical term)...will show in your finished product.... that said, on piece B25, I would use an exacto knife and cut off that little protusion (aka stickie outie) where your overlap was not perfect.  I do agree with the others that you are off to a good start...Just do what you consider to be your best work, and enjoy it.  I, too, would be interested in seeing your progress.

#5 Michael

Michael

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for the welcoming!

These are my first and second lead pieces, I am self teaching myself so they are not perfect but are coming along. I do find lead easier to work with, we will see how running the beads go for this one.

L6jTTaUl.jpg

nuxaBbel.jpg

#6 DebN

DebN

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:30 PM

REALLY nice work!

#7 annabelle

annabelle

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:20 PM

You are off to a great start.  The pieces look wonderful....

#8 collswill

collswill

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:05 PM

rub your foil down well with a fid. Its always best to clean and warm the glass before foiling and try to keep your fingers off the edge of the glass to prevent moisture on the glass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users