18 replies to this topic

#1 mommasmorelli

mommasmorelli

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:59 AM

I have a worn out 1" grinder bit on my Glastar G8 grinder and am having a tough time trying to remove the worn out bit.  Any suggestions?

I've squirted WD-40 on it but it still is not giving up the shaft.   

#2 stargazer99

stargazer99

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Retired tool and die maker. Decorative ironwork, German Shepherds, precision machining, stained glass

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:46 PM

Try taking the set screw completely out and squirting some wd40 in the hole. Whatever you do, don't beat on it and maybe bend the shaft. Sometimes they are hard to get out, as you know.

#3 Mt_Top

Mt_Top

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Recumbent trikes, lamps, tinkering around homebase.

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:43 PM

A "battery terminal puller" tool might work.  Same idea as a "pulley puller", but smaller in size and cost.   The tool is designed to pull the grinding head (or automotive battery cable) off the motor shaft.  Hard part would be finding one that has the two arms that will fit under the grinding head. 

#4 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:21 AM

As MT-top said a puller should work.  Look for a simple puller with thin wider arms to fit below the grinder's head.  If the center screw has a point, try to place a barrier between it & the shaft to help prevent the shaft from flaring out.  If the shaft is above the grinding head a small flat piece of metal like the side of a flat washer will work until the head comes up to the top of the shaft.  A 1 to 1-1/2" solid rivet slightly smaller in diameter than the grinder's shaft will work nicely to finish the job.

Before installing the new head, check the shaft for burrs & remove any found with a file or sand paper.  Then place a light coat of petroleum jelly on the shaft before placing the new bit in place. Make sure the set screw is aligned with the flat portion of the shaft before tightening the set screw.

Have a great day!

#5 Mt_Top

Mt_Top

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Recumbent trikes, lamps, tinkering around homebase.

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:29 AM

Good advice John.  For others reading this thread, to avoid this issue take a couple seconds at the end of your work day and REMOVE the grinder head.  Life will be easier.

#6 mommasmorelli

mommasmorelli

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for all the tips.  It is tempting to "beat on it" but I won't.  I'll try the puller and am paying particular attention to John's suggestions so as not to damage anything.

You are all wonderful for giving your helpful suggestions so freely.  

Have a beautiful day!

#7 Tod Beall

Tod Beall

Daily Mirror Owner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Mostly flat glass. I started with sg over 30 years ago. I also collect books about sg. Please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book.

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:54 AM

The operative principal is to pull up on the bit while holding the shaft stationary. There are combinations of tools you may already have which could work.

To find a puller, you might consider borrowing a small one from a local plumber, mechanic or electrician - or well-equipped handyman! Check your friends first!

Be careful as the plastic is easy to stress & crack!

#8 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:39 PM

To follow up on Todd's suggestion on borrowing a puller which is a good one, I'd bet if you were to take your grinder to an auto parts store, they would be willing to do it for you as you wait.

#9 mommasmorelli

mommasmorelli

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:03 AM

Thanks again.  I'll let you know how it works out soon.  

Have a beautiful day!

#10 Knight

Knight

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:Art, nature, cooking vegetarian, listening to vinyl, and my Love.

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:54 AM

Before I put a new grinder head on when I am replacing a worn out one I smear a nice heap of Tube Wax Lubricant from CR Lawrence inside the head. I find that later on down the road when I want to change it this helps in the "speedy" removal of the crusty old one. 

This doesn't help you in getting the one off that is stuck on, but it might help with the next one.

#11 mommasmorelli

mommasmorelli

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:28 AM

Thanks again.  I'll try it.

#12 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:07 PM

Thanks again.  I'll try it.

KD made a battery terminal puller, and was found at NAPA Auto stores, and some folks used it, if my memory serves me correctly.

#13 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:08 PM

Before I put a new grinder head on when I am replacing a worn out one I smear a nice heap of Tube Wax Lubricant from CR Lawrence inside the head. I find that later on down the road when I want to change it this helps in the "speedy" removal of the crusty old one. 

This doesn't help you in getting the one off that is stuck on, but it might help with the next one.

Yes, saves a lot of headaches.  I have always used "Never Seize"

#14 Whit

Whit

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:02 AM

Break-Free CLP or Kroil, letting it soak overnight. I haven't found corrosion or gunk either won't cut. Then apply the terminal puller. Don't beat on it. Grinders are expensive these days.

#15 downeb1

downeb1

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:44 PM

I had the same problem years ago, and what was suggested to me, was to go to the hardware store and look for a Faucet Handle Puller.  Only costs around $12.

#16 Tod Beall

Tod Beall

Daily Mirror Owner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Mostly flat glass. I started with sg over 30 years ago. I also collect books about sg. Please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book.

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:25 PM

I had the same problem years ago, and what was suggested to me, was to go to the hardware store and look for a Faucet Handle Puller.  Only costs around $12.

Great idea!

#17 stresssolutions

stresssolutions

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:woodworking, leatherworking, motorcycles, rope, stained glass, cooking, baking, animals

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:21 PM

have you tried applying some heat? 

#18 mommasmorelli

mommasmorelli

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:00 AM

After getting every bit of use out of the old grinder bit, I finally worked up the courage to try the faucet puller (about $13 on Amazon: $5 + $8 shipping).  It worked like a charm!

It came up easily without any damage.    I greased the shaft before setting the new grinder bit.   It works better now that when the grinder was brand new.   THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR GREAT ADVICE!

#19 Eyeshooter

Eyeshooter

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:19 PM

I understand this thread is rather old but, as a newbie to the site, I wanted to comment how helpful I found this information. I've reset my bit with no-seize and look forward to not having the removal problems mommasmorelli reported. Thanks, momma!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grinder bits

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users