#1 SashaMax

SashaMax

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:12 PM

hi

has anyone had any experience working with Creative Castings hand cast sculptures.

They have a variety of different items - fairies, butterflies etc. - I purchased a dragon

Came with a pattern for the wings but the instructions are lame

I'm unsure as to how best to attach the completed wings since the piece is lead free - how will I get them to bond correctly.

Also - it says to assemble with a COOL iron to avoid melting the product - 

any advice?

thanks

#2 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,509 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 05 November 2016 - 12:09 PM

hi

has anyone had any experience working with Creative Castings hand cast sculptures.

They have a variety of different items - fairies, butterflies etc. - I purchased a dragon

Came with a pattern for the wings but the instructions are lame

I'm unsure as to how best to attach the completed wings since the piece is lead free - how will I get them to bond correctly.

Also - it says to assemble with a COOL iron to avoid melting the product - 

any advice?

thanks

Directions can be weird at times. I have done a lot of these over the years, and attaching wings well, can take a little thought. Sometimes have used a small piece of copper wire where the wing joins the body, in an "L" shape, and soldered it in the seam at the top or bottom of the wing, then covering it with solder. Depends on the casting.

The "Cool" iron part is kind of "Nuts" since its like saying chop wood with no blade on an axe.  They likely meant to not use excessive heat, since the body will melt at the same, or close, to the solder melting point.  Lead free, means the alloy its cast in, is lead free. You can use lead free solder to make it completely lead free. My suggestion in soldering it, is to "Touch and Lift" to get a feel of how quick it all melts together. It should not take too much heat at the joint to see it flow across the seam. A quick touch of the iron at first, and then increase the time as needed, until you see the solder flow across the seam. Do a small area at one time, and let it cool a bit then another area, like maybe 1/2 inch increments. Hope that helps.

#3 SashaMax

SashaMax

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:58 PM

Thanks Boris

I thought maybe I could wrap a piece of copper foil around the body where I'm going to attach the wings and the use that as my attachment point

I will play around with - the body is quite small but obviously since i have seen pictures of the finished product it must be workable

I really would like to find larger items 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users