5 replies to this topic

#1 Vitric Visions

Vitric Visions

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:06 PM

It is on my bucket list to teach! I've been doing SG for 30 years - Art Fest, Custom work, galleries etc. but I want to teach...but WHAT??? Can you give me some ideas of what you think would be a fun week long class? I want to do something other than the basics. I've thought about a "design your own" class, but need to brainstorm some.

Thanks for your help!

#2 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:16 AM

Pattern Drawing and  Composition using basic Art Rules for layout,  perspective, focal point placements, how the human eye perceives a design when first viewed, color choices and compatibility.  These are very lacking in any stained glass class. Everyone assumes you either have the knowledge or that your going to work out of a pattern book the rest of your life. I belong to several Facebook Glass Groups, and see some of the self designed patters there, and in most, there is no discipline in any Art skills or they are just non existent. Folks can not seem to get it in their heads that there is no difference in creating a Painting, or a Stained Glass piece, other than the Medium used. One you paint in with oils or acrylics, and the other you paint in with glass.  I have always told those interested in doing glass, to go out and buy a good basic Art Book, and study it well before trying to do your own creation project.  

Anyone can be taught how to use a tool, and how to use the material, and can create a "Cartoon" type panel,  but not everyone knows how to create a work of art.  To do so, first requires the basic knowledge  an Artist needs to have. This is not being taught as far as I have seen.  Might be a good place to start, using a "Scenic" panel to start. 

#3 Vitric Visions

Vitric Visions

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:09 AM

I wholeheartedly agree! Another addition to that is structure strength and design flaws. These are a little harder to find information on though. Do you have any resourses for these topics? I really do like your ideas and am thinking along these lines.

#4 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

I wholeheartedly agree! Another addition to that is structure strength and design flaws. These are a little harder to find information on though. Do you have any resourses for these topics? I really do like your ideas and am thinking along these lines.

Strength and design structure is too far advanced  for folks who are rarely going to make something that large. Basic use of rebar or other material uses for structure can be summed up in less than 30 minutes, because the rest depends on what your making.  The Art portion would be covered in any decent Artists Manual or Handbook given out in a good Art Class . Its been so long since I used them, I can't remember which ones I had. They covered every basic knowledge one needs to know to when they start their Journey to become an Artist. Will have to check my book collection which is in boxes right now.

#5 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:45 PM

Here is a link to a PDF Library you can download or access just about any information you want on Art for reference. FREE

#6 Vitric Visions

Vitric Visions

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:27 PM

WoW!! Thank you so much!

I've got to tell you, I have had nothing but wonderful feedback from the Stained Glass Town Square community.

I am so grateful for your kindness!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users