3 replies to this topic

#1 Spiff

Spiff

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:53 PM

I’m finally taking a crack at the Odyssey 18” flowering lotus (T344).  As we know, this beast has 1,792 pieces, and will take hours off my life.  I built the 10” Worden system wisteria previously, so I have some experience.

I have some questions that I’d like to toss out to the pros here.

1. I have to use tacky wax, but I’m concerned that I’m never getting this off the mold.  That will be a lot of wax.  Any concerns on that?  Is there a good alternative?  I could do 4-5 inches down and then tack it and then cut them and tack another 4-5.

2.  I usually attach the pieces to the mold as I cut them, but I’ve been told by some not to do that.  I hate to cut all the pieces and then put them on the mold, only to find they were a bit too big or a bit too small.

3.  Any other concerns with a project of this size?

Thanks a real lot and I’m glad I found this site either way!  Spiff

Attached Files

#2 WayneFL

WayneFL

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:59 AM

I use a smaller than pea size piece of tacky wax on each piece.   Removing the shade is always a concern for the first few you may do.   I use a two stage heating process to make the job easier.   I first heat the inside of the shade as evenly as possible to get the fiberglass warm to the touch.   Let it sit for a couple minutes and then heat the outside of the shade evenly.   For the inside heating, I use either a hot air popcorn popper or a heat gun.    While the outside is heated using either a heat gun or a hair dryer.   

About the glass work:   i follow the traditional method of selecting the glass on a light table which uses the same bulbs as the lamp will use.  As I am finished cutting the pieces, they are placed on a easel which shows how the shading is doing  and at this stage I replace pieces which don't fit the picture (color scheme).    After all the glass has been cut and the glass on the easels has passed the test, I begin fitting the pieces to the form using only a very small amount of wax because the pieces have to be removed in groups to be foiled.   Once the pieces have been foiled they are put back on the form with the 'smaller than pea' size wax.  

Once the shade has been soldered on the inside and most of the clumps of wax have been removed, I use Goof Off to scrub the inside and remove the wax film.   Do that step outside and discard the rags used in this step.  Wash the shade with soap and water and it should be ready for the patina application....

#3 abales

abales

Tourist

• Glasser
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Stained glass windows, off road & on road motorcycling, reading books, bicycling 'rails to trails' across states, & starting another business!

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

Same bulb power is a great idea!

#4 chaosfred

chaosfred

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

I actually saw that lamp bring made in a shop last fall, it's very intricate. A hobbiest started it, then realized how far over her head she was, and took it to the shop to have a glasser finish it. That way, the hobbiest could honestly take some credit for doing some of it. Well, it's a beautiful lamp now. That's one pattern I won't try, way too many tiny pieces. They would overwhelm me. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users