#1 DrZeuss

DrZeuss

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:07 PM

Anyone else have this problem?
I recently opened a bottle of Novacan black patina for Zinc , and tried to use it on clean, freshly scoured with steel wool zinc U-came on the border of a foiled piece. No color change. Nada. Zip. It's not that it was streaky or blotchy, it was like water and stayed that way. I brushed it around, and then wiped it off and tried again. This is a bottle that I have had on the shelf for about 6 months, but never opened until this day.

I washed the piece and proceeded with black patina for solder, which I had used on the interior solder of the piece. This worked as it usually does- streaky at first then mostly worked OK. Not fantastic. Before this, The copper patina for solder worked much better to make the zinc black, but left the solder attachment points copper colored on the black zinc border. I cleaned it off and went with black.

Long story, but when I emailed my supplier about the patina for Zinc, they just referred me to their "how to" web page. Nice, but I think there's an actual chemical problem here. Any thoughts?

#2 annabelle

annabelle

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:09 AM

I rarely use patina, but have never experienced that problem.  I would contact Novacan directly.  The supplier probably won't be much help.

#3 stargazer99

stargazer99

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Retired tool and die maker. Decorative ironwork, German Shepherds, precision machining, stained glass

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

I gave up on the black patina for zinc a long time ago. I tried everything too, All I've do now is to scrub it one direction only with 00steel wool with wax and give it a good coat of wax afterwards. Looks and stays good for quite awhile.

#4 WayneFL

WayneFL

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:49 AM

Tin the zinc pieces before cutting them for the project.   Then the patina matches the rest of the project.

#5 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,587 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:41 PM

I had better luck with Gun Blue on zinc, and a hair dryer to warm it up well first.   Any Patina works twice as well if the work piece is good and warm.

#6 Laddie

Laddie

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

Haven't tried this yet, but I heard that zinc is oil coated. Wipe it down with nail polish remover or acetone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Zinc, patina, black, Novacan, Problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users