Photo

Windchime - How To Polish Cut Glass Edges?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mmurf

mmurf

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:22 AM

I am doing a wind chime using stained glass (cathedral and clear) pieces. I will drill 2 holes in each piece and use fishing line or copper wire to connect the pieces, so I will not be soldering the edges, which I have ground to smooth off. I was wondering if I should try to polish the edges to get them shiny, or just leave them matte (just like them come off the grinder after cleaning). I have no idea how to "polish" the edges, so any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. TIA, Miki

#2 Knight

Knight

Community Leader

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Art, nature, cooking vegetarian, listening to vinyl, and my Love.

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:35 AM

To get them shiny again you will either need to fire polish them, or grind/sand/polish with multiple grit papers and wheels.

I would suggest just leaving them, you could put a coat of clear nail polish on the edges, that might keep them shiny.....and much simpler than the options listed above!

#3 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:40 AM

A finer grit head will leave a smoother finish.

Folks will notice the overall appearance & sounds it makes more than the edge's polish.  I think the matte edge left by the grinder helps to "frame" the shape of the glass. 

If you want to try the nail polish mentioned above, I would try a sample piece with nail polish on the edge & tap it before applying the polish & after to see what effect it would make on the tone & clarity.   (If you do try this, please let us know what you think.)

#4 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:08 PM

No one is going to notice the edges. Ask your self if you would notice on one that some one else made.  I know I would not. I would be more interested in the colors and design.

#5 Tod Beall

Tod Beall

Daily Mirror Owner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Mostly flat glass. I started with sg over 30 years ago. I also collect books about sg. Please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book.

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:34 AM

... and sound...

#6 Fox

Fox

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:33 PM

I've come around to making chimes from two pieces fused together, which naturally produces a rounded edge-- nice sound too. I often fire polish single-layer pieces as well -- again, the edges round nicely but the overall shape may become a bit distorted (which can be a desired effect, of course). I drill the piece for mounting, but with two layers you can also embed a wire hanger. Grinding the edges down a bit works, of course, but though it's another whole step in fabrication the wholly rounded edge really cuts down the chipping ( and worse) that occurs as the pieces clink against each other. I also find that when a kiln-worked piece breaks it does just that -- neatly, without any shards or slivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users