Photo

Can Anyone Give Me Any Information On These Panels?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 treehouse

treehouse

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:34 AM

We acquired two stained glass panels that the previous owner had fit into custom made interior doors. When she originally purchased the panels, she was told they came out of a church in the Netherlands and were from the 14th or 15th century. I have never seen stained glass like this before so am curious if anyone has any idea if they are authentic or their origin or value. Each panel measures approximately 11" x 36" and the colours are speckled with brown...almost as if the colour has been painted on? They are in very good condition. Any insight is very much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Attached File  DSCF5664.jpg   171.48K   19 downloads

Attached File  DSCF5662.jpg   215.35K   26 downloads

#2 Fox

Fox

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:43 PM

The gold/yellow is produced by painting on a solution of silver (nitrate or sulphate or whatever, descriptions vary) and firing it in a kiln--subsequent firings and the strength of the applied stain can vary the depth of the colour. As in these windows, black outline is fired on separately. The technique dates from the 14th century, but I would be somewhat dubious about examples anywhere near that age and in that condition entering the market without more provenance. They are certainly in that style and well done, but someone who had expertise would have to examine them and offer an opinion, backed up in writing.

#3 treehouse

treehouse

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:05 AM

The gold/yellow is produced by painting on a solution of silver (nitrate or sulphate or whatever, descriptions vary) and firing it in a kiln--subsequent firings and the strength of the applied stain can vary the depth of the colour. As in these windows, black outline is fired on separately. The technique dates from the 14th century, but I would be somewhat dubious about examples anywhere near that age and in that condition entering the market without more provenance. They are certainly in that style and well done, but someone who had expertise would have to examine them and offer an opinion, backed up in writing.

Thank you very much for this information...very helpful for sure!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users