6 replies to this topic

#1 Dee Whitney

Dee Whitney

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

So I attempted to make my first flower garden stake today.  Its not that great, it was a struggle, but I did it.  Although, its now a sun catcher in my window instead, I decided I wanted my first piece close by so I can see it, as I teach myself, see if I get any better, lol.

Anyways, I am curious, the original tip that came with my Weller is 3/8, which I used today.  It seemed huge to me. Am I suppose to be using a smaller tip?  I did purchase a 1/4 tip, so I have that on hand.  What's the recommended size tip should I be working with?   Thank you!

Oh, one more question.  Was I suppose to tin all pieces indvidually first before assembling and pinned?

#2 Tod Beall

Tod Beall

Daily Mirror Owner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • Interests:Mostly flat glass. I started with sg over 30 years ago. I also collect books about sg. Please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book.

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

What size (wattage) is the iron?

While I no longer know much about irons on the market these days (I'm a dinosaur!), I'd suggest that the larger diameter tip is the one you should stick with. What were the problems you encountered? Just that it seemed large? Do you have a way to control the heat/current?

#3 Dee Whitney

Dee Whitney

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:00 PM

Its a Weller - W100PG Soldering Iron 100 Watt.  I don't really know if I was having problems per se, as I am so new.  I know I just have to practice practice practice...Just that the tip seemed so huge compared to the piece I was working on, but that might be the norm.

#4 Mt_Top

Mt_Top

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Recumbent trikes, lamps, tinkering around homebase.

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

I think you'll be fine with the 3/8" tip.  I usually hold the iron 90 degrees (right angle) to the solder line.  Try various positions until you find one that is comfortable and works.   On sun catchers, it often works better to pre-tin each piece before joining them.  Using some small gauge wire along the edges of the pieces, going from piece to piece and help add strength to the finished sun catcher.  Plenty of previous posts in the Forum on how to finish the edges of sun catchers. 

#5 John

John

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:39 PM

The tips are designed to regulate the temperature.  If you remove the tip and look at the end of the tip you can see what the temperature it is designed to operate at.  ie: 600, 700, 800°F 

600°F is what all my Weller W100PG Soldering Irons came with & work well for smaller jobs but overall I prefer 800°F tips. 

With this said, for myself I rarely use the Weller irons choosing my Hakko's instead.  They heat up faster & I am able to solder for longer periods of time without having to wait for the tip to reheat.

The students are content with the Weller Irons.

#6 Dee Whitney

Dee Whitney

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:45 PM

Thank you everyone for your help!

#7 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:07 AM

Since your Weller has a Coil Heater and not a Ceramic heater, its not going to heat up as fast, but the mass of metal in the tip can hold heat longer. Stick with the 3/8 tip. The larger the tip, the more heat it can store, because it has more mass that a 1/4 tip.  Weller also says the Tip should be as wide as what your soldering. So  if you have two pieces of foiled glass together, your tip should cover the foil on both pieces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users