5 replies to this topic

#1 emeltee

emeltee

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:51 PM

I am new to stained glas. I have made some things using the cooper foil method, insects to put in the garden such as a butterfly and a bee. They haven't turned out too badly but I would like to attch them to stakes so I can 'plant' them in the garden. However I haven't a clue as to the correct way to do this or what to use.

I'm after something fairly sturdy as I don't want them to get broken in the wind. I suppose that if nothing else I could always put a loop on them and attach them to the fence, but it would be nice to see the sun coming through the glass.

Can anyone help, please.

Emeltee

#2 Marilyn

Marilyn

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

You might find some help at the following link:  http://stainedglasst...1-plant-stakes/

#3 emeltee

emeltee

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:02 AM

Thanks Marilyn, that helps a bit. I guess I'll just have to experiment until I find out what works best for me.

#4 FantasyStainedGlass

FantasyStainedGlass

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:00 PM

What I do is go to the hardware store and get 1/8 inch brass rod (brass works the best, but I use steel rod myself) and also the next size up for the tubing, so that the rod fits inside the tube but fairly tight.  It should be in the same area as the rod.  You do not need much for the tubing, and you can figure out how much you want for the stake part and make sure there is plenty to stick in the ground or it will fall over.  After you get that, you need to figure out where it is best to put the small piece of tubing you are going to cut to mount on the suncatcher.  I mount mine on a seam or someplace at a strong point at the bottom, usually in the middle if I can, and you want to mount it so it is not supporting all the weight of the suncatcher so you will need to figure out a balance point for support.  This all sounds hard but it is not at all.  So now that you have that figured out, cut the tubing and mount it on the suncatcher.  You mount it the same way, flux both pieces, hold the tubing with needle nose pliers, and solder it to the suncatcher and make sure you solder it on good but so that it looks nice too.  OK, now figure out how high you want it to stick up out of the ground, add the length for the underground part of the stake, and cut that.  I have a chop saw, but a hacksaw works too.  OK, I then file the end of the rod so it will slide into the tubing, then solder it into the tube, so you will need to get some solder into the tube and it is not hard to do because when you get it hot to slide the rod in, it will melt and then affix to the rod yet sealing the joint so the suncatcher does not slide. If you go to my pictures in the gallery, I'll download one to that if I can so you can see what I am talking about.

#5 emeltee

emeltee

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:58 AM

Many thanks for your reply. It seems quite straightforward although I can't quite work out how you hold the tubing with pliers and solder at the same time. I don't think I've got enough hands! Anyway I will give it a go and see how it turns out.

Thanks again.

#6 DHook

DHook

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:24 AM

Thanks Marlyn for the link. It was buddy much helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users