Photo

Has Anyone Made Their Own Dichroic Bevels?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Leopard

Leopard

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:29 PM

I have seen dichroic bevels used and the diy kit sold by Dichroicglassman for $350.00 which seems quite expensive to me for a small piece of glass, some epoxy and a how to video. I have done lapidary work involving doublets (or triplets) where opal is "laminated" to another material using epoxy. It seems like this is essentially the same process. I've used many different epoxies and understand their dynamics. Perhaps I am missing something. I appreciate any tips or comments!

#2 catspaw

catspaw

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:57 PM

What is it exactly that you are trying to do? There are stock dichroic bevels available from numerous sources online. If you are trying to bond some commercially sourced dichroic glass to a custom bevel shape, Hxtal is an optical epoxy that is used for this purpose (see the work of Toland Sand - amazing!) You cannot make dichroic glass yourself with out some very expensive equipment and exotic materials and processes. That is why there are only a handful of producers nationwide, Austin Thin Films & Coatings By Sandberg are the most well known.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users