#1 kakamath

kakamath

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:03 AM

Hello, 

I've been on  the hunt for a cool looking stained glass or lead glass to fit couple windows by my fireplace. I have a 1920s house and would like to do my best to maintain the charm. It's been hard to find the exact size, most are big, but some are smaller that what I've been looking for. So on the ole' craigslist, I got a hutch for FREE, and the reason I took it was because of the doors had some etching on it. Now I have tried to go through the forum and google to see if I can determine if this is vintage or not, since I don't want to put any crap up on my windows. I was hoping you guys could any way tell me if this is worthy of being put up as a vintage window or just another FAUX...

Thanks a bunch!

a

Attached Files

#2 catspaw

catspaw

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

Sorry, those are not old. Also not etched, but a combination of "glue chip", clear glass and clear bevels. What size do you need? I have a nice pair of art nouveaux panels that are mostly old clear glass (with waviness & distortion) and 5 beveled pieces in each, 3 like inverted heart shapes and 2 rectangles. 15-3/4" x 24".

#3 kakamath

kakamath

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

Oh, they are etched. On the back when I run my finger through them there is clear crevices and troughs... Sorry I couldn't get much pictures posted since the file size requirements are quite strict...

#4 catspaw

catspaw

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:50 PM

Had to take another look. The center oval bevel must have an engraved design on it. Hard to make out in the photo. These are available from many suppliers in a variety of designs. Still not old. "Glue Chip" glass (the glass on the outer border) is created by sandblasting (etching) the surface of the glass and applying animal hide glue. After the moisture has evaporated from the glue, the glass is force dried with heat causing the glue to shrink and contract and pull the "chip" pattern off of the glass. 

#5 Mt_Top

Mt_Top

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Recumbent trikes, lamps, tinkering around homebase.

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:17 PM

Could be those windows are from the last century...............circa 1998! 

#6 kakamath

kakamath

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:33 AM

:) love that, turn of the last century... 

Yhea, just by looking at it, doesn't seem that old. That is why I asked. Thanks all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users