3 replies to this topic

#1 FantasyStainedGlass

FantasyStainedGlass

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:13 PM

I started a 12" panel of magnolia flowers.  I used drapery glass for the flowers and the green leaves.  What my question is, that when I foil the drapery glass, do I foil it like I would any other type glass, or do I just put the foil where it fits and leave the rest unfoiled or raw edges as I call them.  Some of the glass is about 1/2 inch in places and I do have 1/2 foil I can use.  I want the drapery glass to have it so the open parts remain open when I go to solder it.  So I guess what I am asking is, if I foil the whole piece like you would normally do, should I run solder in those spots I want to remain open as if it were an outside edge of a sun catcher.  I do not want it come out as a sloppy mess.  I welcome any suggestions on this.

#2 WayneFL

WayneFL

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:54 AM

You foil all the edges as you would on a regular piece of glass.   There are always really thick and thin places to handle.   When the foil is not wide enough to cover the thick edge, I use another piece and over lap them on the edge that way I don't have to trim the wider foil.   The drapes are usually hollow (not always though) and protrude above the plane of the window.   We do solder that as well.   My method for filling in the openings is to apply masking tape on the inside so that the sticky part of the tape smoothly fills the hole from the inside of the glass (you have to clean the glass so that take sticks).   Once the opening has a nice bed of tape, you puddle solder in that area to form a very smooth surface.   Note: the hole has to be level so you can solder the area.

#3 FantasyStainedGlass

FantasyStainedGlass

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:25 AM

Thanks WayneFL!  I'll use your way.  I have never thought of using masking tape from the back side when I solder so it does not run through.  Great tip!

#4 WayneFL

WayneFL

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:22 PM

I found a sample Magnolia window I made to get an order from a client.

https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users