Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:47 PM

Hi, All 

New Member -UK

Quite New at this 

Q1  What is the practical limit to the size of a copper foil panel?

Q2 When framing a coper foil panel in a hanging frame are there specific profiles to ask a framer for that provide enough to allow for a beading to secure to the frame?

Q3 are there and addition things to do when securing a panel in a frame - allowances - or other ?

Q4 in this modern world of UPVC windows - how do people suggest that panels are hung etc ?

If you can provide any links to products if they exist - really good framers who know putting panels in frames 

or anything else you think - might help 

Thanks for the assistance 

Paul

#2 Mt_Top

Mt_Top

Homeowner

• Glasser
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Recumbent trikes, lamps, tinkering around homebase.

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:36 PM

1) The larger the panel, the more reinforcing bars (steel flat or round).  Typically any panel larger than a sheet of plywood would be really hard to move from the workbench to the installation site.

2) Wood frame?  You will need enough room inside the framing material to fit the glass and solder bead, plus maybe some caulking.

3) Wood framing, think about reinforcing the corners so they do not pull apart over the years.  How will reinforcing bars fit into the frame for support...

4) Free hang the framed panel from eye hooks from the building's window header (usually wood for stick built homes).  Or run strips of wood around the existing window, place the stained glass window against the wood strips and use more molding (moulding) strips to secure everything in place. 

Delphi Glass sells oak frame for stained glass.  Check them out on the internet for some basic dimensions.

Also, think about cleaning the existing window and the stained glass window in a few years.  I have a bathroom (loo) window installed using the wood strip method and can see dust accumulation between the two windows. 

#3 FantasyStainedGlass

FantasyStainedGlass

New Neighbour

• Glasser
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:31 PM

You might contact northernhardwoodframes.com as they specialize in stained glass framing/custom/supplies, and most of all, help with your project needs.

#4 Merneo

Merneo

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:30 AM

Thanks for the replies

I am in the UK so USA suppliers except possibly for small items don't help as much 

Also. sorry I should have been more specific in Q1 the biggest practical size of a foil panel without serious reinforcement ?

Thanks for helping 

Paul

#5 Boris_USA

Boris_USA

Lampman

• Assistant Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts
  • Interests:Way too Many...

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for the replies

I am in the UK so USA suppliers except possibly for small items don't help as much 

Also. sorry I should have been more specific in Q1 the biggest practical size of a foil panel without serious reinforcement ?

Thanks for helping 

Paul

I would say the standard used which is 22 to 25 inches before they recommend  reinforcement. Unless your putting it in a door that's used everyday. Then you have to allow for inertia and the weight of the panel.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Copper Foil, Frames, Windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users